Best EQ pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kaiser, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

Why are the band frequencies different on a Boss style EQ pedal compared to MXR ten bands EQ pedal?

Boss style frequencies: 100Hz – 200 – 400 – 800 – 1.6Khz – 3.4 – 6.4
    MXR frequencies: 31.25Hz – 62.5 – 125 – 250 – 500 – 1KHz – 2 – 4 – 8 – 16

Is the greater frequency range more desirable?
    Should the db boost/cut lead me in any direction if not using it as a booster?
    Should the extra gain slider on the MXR be something to consider and why?

Boss seven bands EQ 15 db boost/cut

Danelectro seven bands EQ 15 db boost/cut

DOD seven bands EQ 18 db boost/cut

MXR ten bands EQ 12 db boost/cut

2. TheUsualSuspect

TheUsualSuspect Member

Two of the frequencies in the MXR are basically useless for guitar - the very lowest & highest....In fact - its pretty debateable about the next two - I usually consider 100 to 125 the very bottom for guitar.....

The fish & chips is a fantastic 'bang for the buck' eq....it works well and is pretty silent - better than the stock GE7....

The very best 'non-boutique' eq is the sniper modded GE7
    http://www.tone-jam.com/

Dead-silent even boosting the level considerably....multiple uses - clean boost, tone shaping, line driving, etc.....Works well before the preamp and in the effects loop.....Its a weapon more than a eq in the right hands.....Can make bad tone, good and good tone, great....

Very high resale value - almost impossible to lose money on buying & selling a used one.....But even as new - can recoup 80% which is a high number.....

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

can you mentioned some of the boutique eq pedals?

I know the Sea Blue eq gets mentioned a lot around here.

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I, again, am putting in a word for the boss eq-20. Everything that was mentioned about the sniper eq applies to this baby as well, plus it's 10 bands plus level slider and has 9 memory functions, something which no other eq pedal has.

Seriously love mine

5. TheUsualSuspect

TheUsualSuspect Member

Very good recommendtion.....

Good pedal - if they made the setting foot switchable - it would be treading on the 'great' territory....Just amazing such a company as Boss wouldnt put such an option in place.....

Sonically it is everything - silent and hifi - that the stock GE7 isnt.....

6. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

actually, analogman will do the mod for you to allow that option, or you can buy a modded one from him.

http://www.analogman.com/boss.htm#eq20

Actually, I find the stock version just fine. You can switch between manual and memory with a pedal, and I leave manual on my "default" setting, and switch the memory depending on what song i am doing. I rarely find I have a need for more than 2 eq settings anyhow. Even with this limitation, it's still 80 times more convenient than your typical eq pedal

7. TheUsualSuspect

TheUsualSuspect Member

Well, that doesnt really add up to me....

I know they can be modded by Mike and its a great pedal once it is - but at that price it enters a different territory....

If you are happy, thats all that matters.....But I Dont see the realistic 80x usefulness in stock form unless live play is not a consideration (which is all that matters for my situation).....

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

I agree, the eq-20 cost around $10 more than the MXR, and their frequencies are very alike on the ten bands, so if it's not modded then whats the difference?

Sorry, if my questions sounds a little weird, I'm just asking, haven't tried the eq-20, yet.

9. TheUsualSuspect

TheUsualSuspect Member

the only difference is that you cant access all presets by footswitch - you can still access/scroll them with a button on the unit....

The EQ20 is a MUCH better choice than the MXR.....

10. eknapier

eknapier Member

This Analog Mike modded Boss EQ looks pretty cool - I've never looked into it before and have been holding out for a Sniper Modded GE-7. Has anyone compared these two or has anyone had experience with the Analog Man modded Boss EQ?

11. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Well, I meant that if you use two different eq settings per song (3, actually, if bypassing the pedal is a mode), then between songs bend down and switch the eq to another setting for the new song, and have two tones (manual and the new memory tone), then this in itself is awesome. I've only used it for live gigs, I should add.

At my fingertips, I have humbucker->single coil simulation, archtop simulation, death metal distortion, crunchy distortion, etc etc, PLUS my default tone (which is the manual setting). The finger-pressing thing is a bit of a headscratcher from a design perspective, I don't argue with that, but two eq settings PER SONG is more than enough for anyone who is creative enough.

12. fatback

fatback Member

I use either a BJF SBeq or an old t.c. dual parametric eq pedal after my od/distortion pedals to fine tune my tone. Both work great. The BJF is less flexable, but MUCH easier to dial in. Graphic eq's work well pre-gain, but can easily accentuate noise. When using one, I prefer to subtract, rather than add frequencies and then make up the volume difference later in the chain.

13. TheUsualSuspect

TheUsualSuspect Member

Gotcha....

I am 40 yrs old - bending down is no longer an option or compromise I can make :(

But modded - I love the idea......Its on my "short list" of additions to be made.....But not until the pair of sniper modded EQs I currently use become obsolete.....

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I'm 49, and finding truth in the old saying "use it or lose it"...

When bending down gets difficult (at 40!), the answer it lots more bending down :)

mistercharlie likes this.
  15. TheUsualSuspect

TheUsualSuspect Member

nope....not possible....bad back.....had it for years....tall person in a short family.....It was difficult at 25 unfortunately :(

16. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Ah....that is a little different then.

17. seanc

seanc Member

get a tone-jam sniper mod and all your problem will be solved. they are sexy pedals and sound even better