Best EQ pedal

Luca1979

I'm looking for a musical, quiet, effective EQ pedal to sculpt the sound of my non-EQ loaded Mesa Mark IIC+ head.
Basically trying to cover the original EQ bands (80, 240, 750, 2200, 6600 Hz) to scoop mids/boost highs in the best possible way.

Suggestions? Thanks!

tnt365

Shape EQ (I have one in the emporium for $155 shipped). I have decided to sell it to fund another pedal since my OD and Fuzz both have extensive EQ sections that kind of clash with the Shape.

http://fromelelectronics.com/pedals/Shape-EQ

Edit: Aside from my self promotion (hehe) the Shape is very musical. The mid-range sweep knob can go from half-cocked wah (10-11am) or deep smooth mids (2pm-3pm). Even the BOSS GE-7 might do the trick for you though, but I find the parametric eqs more musical.

Last edited:
I researched this too recently and went with the Shape EQ. John Fromel is great to work with. He answered all my questions and shipped my pedal out the day I ordered it. So quiet. So flexible. FWIW it sounds great in the loop of my M/B Studio and my Budda Twinmaster. Most musical EQ ever? Maybe.

digiTED

rock > talk
keepingitweird said:
MXR 10 band...cheap, gota love the gain and boost too...
+1 MXR 10 band. Cheap, solid, sounds great to my ears/rig. 18v gives plenty of headroom. I use it for various things.

DraggAmps

I've owned the Empress and Barber and they're both great. The best IMO, and the one I still have on my board is the Shape.

Luca1979

Ok I have narrowed the choice between Fromel, Empress and MXR 10 band.
How does the Fromel differ from the Empress?

you can't compare the Fromel to the Empress reasonably. The Fromel is a great EQ but it does not cover the frequency ranges that the Empress does nor does it do it as precisely. If you want a very good and simpler EQ go with the Fromel. If you want a studio grade EQ in a stomp then go with the Empress.

Luca1979

you can't compare the Fromel to the Empress reasonably. The Fromel is a great EQ but it does not cover the frequency ranges that the Empress does nor does it do it as precisely. If you want a very good and simpler EQ go with the Fromel. If you want a studio grade EQ in a stomp then go with the Empress.
Which one would be more appropriate to cover the 5 Mesa ranges (80, 240, 750, 2200, 6600 Hz) with the ability of scooping/boosting?

I believe that the Empress will cover from 35Hz all the way to 20kHz, 3q settings for each freq (0.5, 1.5 and 3), -15dB to +15dB for each band and an overall +30db boost if you need it.

Safe to say that you can scoop, tweak, boost your sound as you see fit.

jfromel

I'm looking for a musical, quiet, effective EQ pedal to sculpt the sound of my non-EQ loaded Mesa Mark IIC+ head.
Basically trying to cover the original EQ bands (80, 240, 750, 2200, 6600 Hz) to scoop mids/boost highs in the best possible way.

Suggestions? Thanks!
Shape is a 3 band, the low center is 75 the high center is 6800 and the mids are sweepable between 75 and 6800, cut and boost for each band is about 12db +/-. If you set the sweep for the mids at 2:00 you will be at 800. Width for each band is 1.5 octaves. Shape will get you the scooped sound you are looking for. Boost high and low to taste, dump the mids and sweep til you find your sweet spot. If you want more tweak-ability then go for the Empress.

The Empress is a great EQ and very different from the Shape, if you know how to use a parametric and are obsessive compulsive about every frequency in tone then the Empress is a good fit. If you want an EQ that is simple to use and easy to quickly dial in a good tone then Shape may be a better fit.

Last edited:

Trending Topics