Best EVM-12L alternatives

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lucky Dog Guitars, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

Anyone have opinions on other speakers comparable to EVM-12L performance? Possibly for lower price?

2. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

I already bought a Weber Michighan. While its a good speaker, it is not the same performance as an EVM-12L.. I agree

Never tried the commonwealth

Weber has a JBL clone now I think too?

3. johnzias

johnzias Member

Yes, the Neomags and the Californias. I will be listing a pair of 12" 16ohm Neos today.

4. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

Love 'em or hate 'em, NOTHING sounds like an EVM-12L. IMO nothing compares.

5. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

I don't disagree w/ this...
    That said, I've had great success w/ the Eminence Delta Pro 12A in Thiele-aligned/ported cabs (Rivera, Boogafunk).

6. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    Quote--"I don't disagree w/ this...
    That said, I've had great success w/ the Eminence Delta Pro 12A in Thiele-aligned/ported cabs (Rivera, Boogafunk)."

Totally agree--can't even tell the difference between EVM12L and Delta Pro 12A in identical Thiele single 12 cabs---In fact I've forgotten which is which--Doh!!

7. tuberider

tuberider Supporting Member

Maybe not cheaper but a Sholz sugar cone is in the ballpark.The Weber Michigan is based on the SRO alnico EVs I believe.
    Eminence Delta Pro is in there also but I sure can tell the difference and I own em both.
    I just put a EV12L in my Gries 35 (blackface) and after having tried a Tonker,Swamp Thing,G12H30,Celestion Gold, Eminence Legend,Red White and Blues and more I felt like the jaded food critic in the animated movie, Ratitoulee, who takes a bite of their food and is transported to his mother's kitchen as a bashful 13 year old boy.I finally found my sound for that amp with the right feel with the EV!
    Maybe the Eminence Red White and Blues is sorta similar to and cheaper than the 12L.

8. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

celestion g12k-100

is will be comparing them this weekend to the ev!

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Eminanence Delta Pro 12A is significantly cheaper and supposedly gets close to the EV sound. Bob

10. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

I was told by Jody Rucker, US Distribution Sales, from Eminence at NAMM '08 that Eminence made the EVM-12L for Electrovoice from time to time -- I presume that the Eminence Delta Pro 12A is an exact clone. FWIW ....

11. edgewound

edgewound Gold Supporting Member

Is that manufactured or assembled? I'd say that they had a good opportunity to clone the EVM12L but the voice coil construction is what makes all the difference in the world on the EVM's RELIABILITY.

Everyone knows that a speaker that lasts 20 plus, 30 plus, 40 plus years is a much cheaper to own speaker that one that needs periodic reconing due to shortcuts in design.

The Eminence Commonwealth is nowhere near the tone of a JBL E120/E130....there again, short cuts that can't compare to the original.

12. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

I don't know the specifics on the manufacturing -- I do have one of these that I bought at the end of the 90's when I could not find an EVM; I would have to listen to it again to say more since I later found another EVM and have never really played the Eminence.

I believe they are rated for a much higher wattage as I recall and so may actually hold up over time like an EVM does.

Jody's number (I have his card) is 502 845-5622 and email: jody.rucker@eminence.com

13. stelligan

stelligan Member

I own and use both. They compare favorably in the lows and mids, but for me the EV wins out in the high end. Very similar sound and feel though - mucho girth and power handling. The closest thing I've found - and less than half the price.

14. edgewound

edgewound Gold Supporting Member

EVM has aluminum wire voice coil. Eminence has copper....way more inductance and is heavier. That's why the difference in the high end and efficiency, and the EVM gap is a few thousandths of an inch tighter.

The JBL M121 would be close to the EVM12L. The Eminence is a good lower cost alternative, but the application for guitar is going to sound way different becasue of the voice coil.

15. rockon1

rockon1 Member

16. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

I tried the Delta Pro one time & just didnt think it was near as good sounding as the EVM.

Im thinking I will end up just getting the EVM.