• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Best Fender Blackface Pre Amp

Daprofessor

Silver Supporting Member
Looking for an excellent Fender Blackface pre-amp pedal to plug into a two notes CAB M. What are your suggestions?

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Can a Maiden D be tweaked to sound like a Maiden BF?
From reading for those that have both, yes they can be dialed in to sound similiar, but at the expense of not making either sound their best. So if you dial in the way you like the bf and then try to get that exact sound on the d, then you can’t get there and vise versa.

I have the squire bf and maiden bf. Both are great pedals, I do prefer the squire by just a hair. I also modded my squire to have an internal switch to change the mid cap to a super reverb value which shifts the mid scoop. Long term plan is to sell one once my name comes up on the Kingsley list.

Sparadrap

Blackface preamps?
What's best?

- Boss FDR-1 (discontinued)
- Wampler Black '65 (discontinued)
- Mad professor Super Black
- Two Notes Le Clean

I should put my hands on a FDR-1 within a few days, but I can't compare.

ToneIsKing55

Silver Supporting Member
From reading for those that have both, yes they can be dialed in to sound similiar, but at the expense of not making either sound their best. So if you dial in the way you like the bf and then try to get that exact sound on the d, then you can’t get there and vise versa.

I have the squire bf and maiden bf. Both are great pedals, I do prefer the squire by just a hair. I also modded my squire to have an internal switch to change the mid cap to a super reverb value which shifts the mid scoop. Long term plan is to sell one once my name comes up on the Kingsley list.
This. I’ve had both on my board at the same time and this is spot on correct. Since your looking for a true preamp pedal and not one meant to run FOA the Kingsley is your best bet. The non preamp pedals will be a sad comparison going direct as they just aren’t real preamps.

ballynally

This. I’ve had both on my board at the same time and this is spot on correct. Since your looking for a true preamp pedal and not one meant to run FOA the Kingsley is your best bet. The non preamp pedals will be a sad comparison going direct as they just aren’t real preamps.
Q: to which amp (if at all) is it going? Are you putting it in an effects loop?
In any case, the proposed Kingsley is likely to be your best bet.

Sparadrap

What cool option for those not living in North America, and not willing to endure the Kingsley 6-month waiting list?
Le Clean, FDR-1, Super Black, Black '65?

ToneIsKing55

Silver Supporting Member
Q: to which amp (if at all) is it going? Are you putting it in an effects loop?
In any case, the proposed Kingsley is likely to be your best bet.
I’m running wet dry and splitting after the preamps to the fx loop return of a two rock and a Mesa Lonestar Classic.

ballynally

I’m running wet dry and splitting after the preamps to the fx loop return of a two rock and a Mesa Lonestar Classic.
ooh that is a nice setup! Gain to one side, rev/del/modulation to the other?
I thought the Lonestar w b pretty much a blackface.

Trending Topics