Best Fender combo for Rock to HR?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by seventn, May 15, 2006.

1. seventn

seventn Member

Hey guys,

I've been looking for a good amp for rock to hard rock and would like it to be a Fender. Of course I will be using OD pedals. I used to have a Blues Deluxe in the 90ies but sold it and went the modeling way...I'm feeling better now and getting back into tube amps. I nice clean (actually I prefer a little broken..) would also be nice.

So what do you suggest? (under or around 1000.00 if possible)

Bassman LTD
    BDRI
    Twin Amp
    DRRI
    or others?

2. seventn

seventn Member

oh and I should mention that I have tried the SuperSonic and was not impressed at all. So it is not an option.

3. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

I would vote for a Fender Twin Reverb. its basically the highest watt fender (except for the head version such as the Showman) which will give you the biggest clean headroom needed to use a wider range of pedals. Its like giving you a great blank canvas to work from. Plus, the larger transformers and 2x12 speakers will give you a bigger lowend and thump then most other fenders.

Also, as I just mentioned, a Showman head and cab may work great too, but thats not a combo;)

4. seventn

seventn Member

That sounds great but a little loud for my application. I never gig, only studio work. I would prefer something in the 30-60 watt range..or lower...

If I was willing to go with other than Fender,
    VOX AC30 1x12 with Alnico blues any good for what I want to do?

5. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

...first of all, volume isn't the issue, its the clean headroom. I play my twins at bedroom volumes all the time and they still sound fantastic. You won't need to crank it to sound good with overdrive pedals...

buuuut...

if you are seriously only looking for something for home studio work here are 2 ideas.

1.) an old fender deluxe tweed. Sounds funny but those things mic'd and sent into a recording station can give some of the coolest rock tones ever. Just ask The Edge or countless others. They are very low wattages so live its not so great, but in a studio, you can turn them to 10 and play to your hearts desire. No Pedals needed.

2.) From a practical standpoint, a POD XT Pro might be just what you are looking for. Tube snobs, and me alike, hate these things for live use, but in a recording situation they really shine. There has been plenty of players, pro and amateur, that have remarked how surprisingly proficient these SS modelers are at creating very realistic and kick ass tones when put on tape.

6. seventn

seventn Member

I'll look into the Tweed Deluxe thing. But was looking to buy new. A lot of sellers just run away when I mention that I'm in canada...

As for the PodXT, I had one, in fact I own them all and I don't like them anymore. Its like using sampled drums, they sound 70% real and give you lots of creative freedom but in the end it is not real. Would you eat a hamburger that only tasted 70% like beef?

And anybody looking into modeling should check out Guitar Rig from Native instruments. 3x better than PodXT...but you need a computer...

7. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey seventn,

I'm using an Omega Amps modded Hot Rod Deluxe modded by Jim Price. I bought my amp used, sent it to Jim for the HRD mods, got it back and it is one smoking amp now!! You have to check out this amp mod he does before you decide to buy a pricey boutique Deluxe copy. Here is the link:

http://www.omegaamps.com

Click on the link, go to mods and check out the clips.

Guitar George

8. seventn

seventn Member

Great clips on you site JubileeMan! Love the tone.

9. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Why Thanks!

Maybe you should buy a Marshall Jubilee OR Budda;)

10. seventn

seventn Member

This is a silly question but I'll ask anyway; what amp from Fender and pedal combination could I use to get as close as possible to your Marshall Jubili/Budda tone?

11. opdev

opdev Member

I really liked the Supersonic Head I played last week. Clean to rock!!!

12. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

Is there a specific sound you're going after, or are you more interested in having the name Fender on the front of the amp? What kind of rock/hard rock tones are you going after?

13. seventn

seventn Member

No I'm not just interested in the logo. Friend on mine is a Fender Dealer so I can get a good deal.

I'm looking for flexible range of tones. Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Radiohead, Red hot chilly Peppers...Sometimes even as heavy as Deftones.

So anywhere from Bluesy clean to heavily distorted. But never "scooped" new metal stuff. Grungy never metal. Nothing harsh, saturated by warm.

I know I can get pretty close to what I want with Blues Deluxe but am interested to know if I can get something better. Maybe Bassman or would the jensens never be good for heavy?

14. seventn

seventn Member

What is the Budda based on/copy of? And in the clips of it what is the cab used and it's speakers?

thanks

15. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Not really all that silly of a question actualy...

I think a Fender Twin Reverb, Super Reverb, or Vibroking would all be great options.

As for pedals there are three that come in mind:

•Marshall Bluesbreaker (my favorite OD pedal ever... there are clips on my site of this into a Twin)

•Marshall Gov'nur (said to make any amp into a JCM800...which is basically a Jubilee)

•Vintage Rat

You'll never get exact obviously, but I suppose thats a good start.

16. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Are you talking about my clips?

If you are, I used a Mesa 2x12 cab with Vintage 30's.

Budda Superdrive 80s are what they call their "Take on the late 60's marshall superlead). But Budda amps really have a tone/sound that is actualy unique to them.

After playing with one for over a month now, I think the best way to describe a budda superdrive as a cranked marshall Superlead but WITHOUT any of the trademark Marshall Metallic high-end... if that makes sense.

...I even heard rumors that the guys at budda looked to the Jubilee's gain voicing as a launching ground for the basis of the budda...but I can't be sure of that. But its the reason I looked into them in the first place. And I'm glad I did.

17. seventn

seventn Member

JebileeMan; What do you think of the Marshall 1987XL head?

You say a Twin Reverb could be a good choice. What about a Twin-Amp? Do you know how diffenrent these 2 are?

Thanks again!

18. usc96

usc96 Member

How loud do you want to go. A twin sounds great, but it's damn loud. I'm happy with my drri.

19. seventn

seventn Member

I'm hoping that with pedals I won't have to play it very loud.

20. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

The 50 and 100 watt marshall reissues are great amps... but I"ve always found their prominant upper midrange and metallic high-end to give nothing BUT marshall sounds no matter the pedals you put in front. thats my opinion, but I like fenders for their "clean pallet" sort of sound. Its a VERY old saying:

"You can get a Fender to sound like a Marshall, but you can't get a Marshall to sound like a Fender"

Also, I've also found those non master volume Marshalls to be FAR louder than any twin reverb. I can actualy crank my Twin R. to 6 or MORE on stage, but I couldn't get my other bandmate's SUperlead past 2 before ear splitting volumes...

...The "Twin-amp" is a more modern take on the twin reverb. It has channel switching and is a rather different circuit all together. Personally, I find the simpler circuit of the reissues or original Twin reverbs to give more piece of mind, especially when using pedals.