Best Filter Caps for Marshall?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Rossl, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Rossl

Rossl Member

I have a 1979 Club and Country 100 watt combo. Similar to JCM800 series. I would like to recap it.

What are the best filter caps? Considering JJ, LCR, F&T. Would you be able to "hear" a difference between these brands?

2. samwheat

samwheat Member

3. Newton

Newton Member

I think that sozo caps are very good

4. CarlH

CarlH Member

I think he is asking about electrolitics, which I don't think sozo makes. Please excuse me if I am wrong.

5. seyfert

seyfert Member

Yes the filter caps are electrolytic capacitors, very important part in your amp, but that´s often not realized. Many thoughts about transformers, PTP, circuit caps, tubes etc. but if your filtercaps are old and dried out your amp can´t sound good, and for sure you can hear the difference clearly, the better the quality of the cap, the more better the sound.

My favorite caps (and not only the filter caps) are this:

http://www.mundorf.com/downloads/info-news/AMP.special.eng.end.pdf

not cheap, but great.

here is a nice overview:

http://www.audiyo.com/product_desc2.php?plid=6&cat=23&cat2=118

and on the bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180034892438

6. samwheat

samwheat Member

all electrolyic caps have +/- 20% tolerance

i have a 10w SE high octane preamp type amp with the same filter capacity as my plexi ...... i don't hear a difference in tone

caps are part of the scheme to reduce the AC ripple in the RC filter circuit on the B+

7. CarlH

CarlH Member

8. Robal

Robal Supporting Member

9. novosibir

novosibir Member

No relabelled LCR, F&T or JJ, because the ARS's are slightly thinner in diameter compared to the LCR aso. and sometimes can't be tightened properly in the original metal clamps.

Larry

Roe likes this.
  10. goneracin

goneracin Supporting Member

I am using them now too. Im pretty happy with them. Ive had good luck with them, and also with the f&t's. Im not sure who makes the ARS caps, but they are smaller diameter than the jj, and f&t. Ive never had any issues with them not tightening up in a clamp though.

11. CarlH

CarlH Member

Very good inforamtion guys on the ARS. I was fishing for comments because I am about to buy some caps and was looking at the different options. Thanks

12. seyfert

seyfert Member

[​IMG]

That´s not correct, -for example- Mundorf electrolytic amp caps have a tolerance of -10/+30 and also in other points they are improved, the average microamp current leakage is only: 150 microamp than 200 or more at the F&T and others, parasitic capacitances can affect the sound with noise and feedback, depending on the amp you will note it.

They have the diameter of the old DALY`s, three solder lugs, and fits in every American or British amp with the clamp mounting.

The only bad thing is , they are not the low cost replacement like some ebay noname products, but they are one of the best electolytics you can get, and you can find a lot of information about them in the www.

13. conundrum

conundrum Member

:eek:I got a good chuckle out of that.

14. CarlH

CarlH Member

I know the quality of electrolitics make a big difference in hi-end tube audio, but can you really hear a difference in guitar amps between Sprague and Mundorf? If so, I will have to get some of those. The price is not too high, unlike the Blackgates.