best fingerstyle guitar under 1000

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by fndrfreek5o, Jul 9, 2010.

1. fndrfreek5o

fndrfreek5o Member

so whats the best fingerstyle acoustic for under a 1000 i don't really want a classical so please leave out nylon string suggestions thanks!

2. aeronius

aeronius Member

I have an Epiphone Masterbilt EF500R that's pretty awesome. Has that vintage Martin vibe w/o the price tag (got it for about $650 at GC). Also, the Taylor 214ce is a fantastic deal as well. Every single one I've played has been spectacular. You might also try the Breedlove American series. Those are pretty nice and start at $1000, but I prefer the Taylors in the sub $1k range. I think they sound a lot better.

3. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

Any guitar will work. I have played fingerstyle on wood guitars, steel guitars, f-hole archtops, round soundhole archtops, big guitars, little guitars, vintage guitars, newer guitars.

In general though, most folks tend to favor small body guitars because they tend to sound more balanced than say a Martin dread which is known for a booming bass.

You also might consider buying used - you will get alot more guitar for your bucks. Also, I would put my money into the guitar - you can always add electronics later.

About the best guitars near your price range that I have played are the Larrivee Series 03 guitars.

4. whomad1215

whomad1215 Member

Larrivee makes some great guitars, you can get a used one for a real deal.
    and L style or a parlor from them would make a fantastic fingerstyle.
    I have the LSV-11 which I got off of ebay a few years ago for a great price and I absolutely love it. Only acoustic I have now and I'm not looking for another.

5. vintageparlors

vintageparlors Member

I like what zoomby said.
    Don't forget to add vintage to your search. Lots of good vibes coming out of these old girls.

6. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

I got a house full of them and so gotta agree. But you also have to do your homework and know what you are doing if you head of in this direction. Not only are there often issues with old guitars you need to look for but there are vintage guitars and there are vintage guitars. They ain't all created equal and age is no guarantee of good sound.

It also depends on your style. I love a thumping bass and full on mids cuz I play blues. Someone playing in say something akin to a James Taylor style more than likely is not going to like the guitars I play and want a box that is more detailed and bright sounding.

Point is, the best way to find a guitar is not to listen to us but go out and play a bunch. I am guessing one will jump out at you. I would also suggest you take someone along with you as it helps to listen to a guitar standing in front of it rather than behind it.

Good Hunting.

7. fndrfreek5o

fndrfreek5o Member

thanks for all the help i think i am just going to go to a few local stores and see what speaks to me but the larrivee and taylor and breedloves were all great ideas. thanks again

8. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

I love my Taylor 414ce for fingerstyle. You can probably find it used for under 1K, I actually bought mine new for 1K when Mars music went out of business. I've also been pleasantly surprised with the quality of some of the Breedlove imports I've tried. The various Godin based brands, ie La Petrie, Seagull, are also worth looking at.

9. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

A Martin 000-15 is certainly worth a whirl if you think all-mahogany might be to your liking. Love mine, bought it new in '03 & it ain't going anywhere... ever.

10. Elliot Easton

Elliot Easton Member

+1. Just get the best Martin you can afford and you won't go wrong. I have the 00-15 and just love it.

11. stan p

stan p Member

Smaller body taylor, martin or larrivee or takamine