Best flamenco/classical guitar builder...

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by markom89, Jan 22, 2008.

1. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I'm in the market for a high quality classical & flamenco guitar, and I wanted to know if there's anyone in specific I should look into, if I'm looking to spend about $4k. I need the guitar to be able to do both classical and flamenco, and I'd prefer a cutaway for uper fret access. It'd also be cool if I could use the guitar for some jazz style stuff. Django-Jazz, in specific. You can also post pictures of the guitars here. Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers.

Marko M.

2. Thor

Thor Member

Marko,

Might get more hits in the Acoustic area of TGP.

Happy hunting,

Edward

3. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

Chris Carrington
    Kenny Hill

Research acousticguitarforum.com, dreamguitars.com, and destroyallguitars.com

4. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Marko
    Is your last name Bronfman? You will end up with more gear than Matte if your not careful :D

5. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Try Delgado guitars. One guy handmaking everything. He is in Nashville.
    www.delgadoguitars.com It's not a great website but he is an amazing 3rd generation luthier and a honestly a good friend of mine. I'm saving scratch for him to make me a similar guitar to what you are describing.

6. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Thanks for the info so far, guys! I'm looking into them all as I type this...

Ed, good idea, but the acoustic area seems to move *alot* more slower, and I've gotten some good info thus far!

Anyone heard of Frank Tate guitars? He's out in Dublin, but his stuff looks killer.

7. Unburst

Unburst Member

marko, my advice is forget the budget and "who makes good classicals" and go out and play a bunch.
    You might be surprised at what you end up liking.

$4k is a little shy of a luthier built guitar so you are talking factory made and those are a crap shoot, imo.

8. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Classical, flamenco, and gypsy jazz instruments are all constructed differently. They have different tonal objectives and the gypsy jazz instruments use a different type of string than the classicals and flamencos. You can certainly play the music on any of the instruments, but you won't find one instrument that does all things the 'best.'

For your $4K you could get one of each type of guitar and see which of the instruments speak to you the most. Kenny Hill imports some great classicals and flamencos from China. Dell Arte imports some great Sel-Mac style guitars. I've owned a Hill designed guitar that was made in Mexico that was a lot of fun, as well as a great Dell Arte. I learned a lot about classical and GJ music and then moved onto other things. All told, I probably lost $200 on each guitar when I sold them after a few years of use. A bargain.

Bryan

9. 57tele

57tele Member

What he said. These are all very different instruments, at least if you're trying to be authentic to the tradition. Even the Flamenco and classicals, which both use nylon strings, are built very differently and sound extremely different.

10. mgrier1

mgrier1 Member

+1

You won't find a do it all instrument (much like electrics, yes?) Traditional Flamenco guitars tend to utilize Cypress wood for back and sides. Classicals use Rosewood (among other woods).

The action and setup is also very different.

Best,

Mike

11. 57paf

57paf Member

Perhaps a flamenca negra, which uses flamenco style construction with classical style materials, could cover both areas. I won't hazard a guess as to your personal likes and dislikes, however.

12. go7

go7 Member

Renato Bellucci www.mangore.com. in Argentina. Amazing guitars and great prices.Does custom work.Good Luck!

13. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

FYI, I'm well aware that guitars for classical, flamenco and jazz are constructed using different methods, and I said I'm looking one that could do both flamenco and classical mainly, and that it would be "nice" if it did jazz. I'm not looking for a guitar to "do it all"... If there was someone who could make me a guitar with the supported top of a flamenco guitar and sound of a flamenco/classical guitar (in between) with other classical features and a cutaway, I'd be happy :) Jazz isn't a must...

14. KRosser

KRosser Member

A brighter sounding spruce top might get you there then. Also, for flamenco stuff use a capo, even if at the first fret and you tune down so you're still in standard tuning. It gives the strings a percussive snappy quality essential to that idiom - many flamenco guys you see will capo up to the 3rd fret even on a dedicated flamenco guitar.

I've done that with a cedar-topped classical for faking it through a session and if you play the right stuff (rasgueados, baby!) it's pretty convincing.

15. enr1co

enr1co Member

Took a flamenco class many years ago and when shopping for a real flamenco guitar my instructor suggested I
    check out these Montalvos down in Berkeley-
    http://www.berkeleymusic.com/flamenco.html

Never got around to buying one but after reading your thread and revisiting this site, you've sparked my interest again- Thank you!

Lots of sound clips on the site- check out the clips from Roberto Granados- 8 yrs old and a phenomenol player already!

e

16. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far, guys!
    I've been very interested in hearing more about the Frank Tate guitars that Rodrigo y Gabriela use... anyone own one of these or have any experience with them?

17. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

18. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Esteban! :D

Just kidding, you might want to check out the Handmade Classicals made by Yamaha, I had one when I was learning classical as a younger guitarist, amazing response from that instrument.

19. garyrogue

garyrogue Gold Supporting Member

As mentioned both types are different. I had a reference to various classical luithers but can't find it, just like electrics, some can have 5-6 yrs or more wait list. http://www.guitarsalon.com/ is a shop with a pretty good selection turn over, pricy, but by browsing you may find something of get more knowledgable about what you need.

20. 2112

2112 Member

I would say to call David - assuming he is still there - at GSI http://www.guitarsalon.com/ and let him know what you are seeking. I bought a lot of guitars through him and always trusted his judgement. He will play them for you over the phone , if you ask real nice ;). They also will send a guitar for a trial period (48 hrs?) with a credit card on file. Last but not least they did offer a trade-in for anything you bought from them - 20% less what you paid for the guitar - towards a different one. This can get expensive but may beat having to sell it yourself.

The above info may not apply now - it's been a while - but maybe it will help you.

One other place to try would be Zavaletas -http://www.zavaletas-guitarras.com/files/inventory.htm .

A Flamenca Negra may be your best bet for a combo of what you are looking for as well. I would also say to try GV Rubio for a very good mid-price guitar. I really think for the price he makes some of the best around http://www.guitarsbygvr.com/ . Sold my Dominique Field and not the Rubio - may have been dumb looking back but that's life :jo. My Tezanos-Perez "Maestro" Cedar/BR keeps me happy now.

Good Luck.

[​IMG]