Best for Songwriting Inspiration? Logic v Protools v Other

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by zachjonesmail, Mar 26, 2020 at 8:04 PM.

1. zachjonesmail

zachjonesmail Member

I am looking for recording tools to help me write songs using my guitar and vocals. In addition I will need to create drum beats on a midi keyboard because I can't play drums where I live.

The goal is to write songs make more songs. I've heard a buddy say the Logic is more inspiring for this than Protools because there are more base instruments sounds to choose from and everything is relatively user friendly, making the process a bit easier.

From a Songwriting perspective, what do you guys think is better?

FYI I haven't used either of these before - newbie, but well versed in Garageband. Thanks.

2. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

The Roger Linn Adrenalinn from a number of years ago inspired a few songs... don’t know about the other things...

Frank S likes this.
  3. Grun

Grun Member

If you're just getting into it and you've used garage band, I would go with Logic. Not sure I would characterize it as a songwriting tool.

OctalSocket and Crowder like this.
  4. rolandk

rolandk Member

I haven’t used Pro Tools in 10 years, so unless there were big changes since then I’d say GB/Logic is waayyy better for songwriting. It comes with a massive library of instruments and loops and a virtual drummer to play along with your tracks.

5. bigEbeer

bigEbeer Member

none of the software you mentioned will be "songwriting inspiration". They will only be a necessary roadblock in the creative process for the DIY approach. In my opinion, creative hardware and software would be:

Digitech Trio+
    Band in a Box
    iReal Pro
    Boomerang
    Ableton (only if you are knowledgable about midi/looping/etc)
    A zoom recorder
    Reaper (since you can try it out with no fee)
    EZ Drummer (needs a host)
    Logic (as good as reaper but costs $$$)

6. anuj

anuj Member

Apple's doing 90 day free trials for Logic and FCPX, fwiw. I'd recommend trying Logic at least, since you're versed in GarageBand.

7. stephenT

stephenT Member

Logic Pro X would be my choice. The drummer function is great, very good instrument sounds. Protools can be a blank page.

Crowder likes this.
  8. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Agree.

Logic comes with a million loops and the Drummer tool. If you're seeking some inspiration or trying to quickly create a backing track it is super easy to do.