Best Fret Size For...

Krisgel

Silver Supporting Member
I have an S-style build, and I will use this particular guitar for a style of playing where I will be moving up and down a single string or a few adjacent strings at a time rather than playing mostly across all strings in a single position.

The playing will incorporate a lot of finger slides, vibrato,1/2 and hole step bends, and hammer-ons/pulloffs. I am wondering what fret size would be recommended for this fluid style of playing?

Eagle1

High frets are best for grip and note articulation so I would surgest a 6105 size on a strat. Or even a 6100 if your heavy on your pick hand.

zztomato

Hmm. I can do that kind of playing on any guitar with any fret size. I would suggest you go to a music store and try a bunch of guitars until you find one that feels best to you. Then check the fret size of the one you like best for the type of playing you are doing. Smooth slide up and down playing would be best on a guitar with low wide frets but you also want to be able to do hammer-ons and bending which is best on higher frets. So, not really sure what you are after.

Eagle1

Hmm. I can do that kind of playing on any guitar with any fret size. I would suggest you go to a music store and try a bunch of guitars until you find one that feels best to you. Then check the fret size of the one you like best for the type of playing you are doing. Smooth slide up and down playing would be best on a guitar with low wide frets but you also want to be able to do hammer-ons and bending which is best on higher frets. So, not really sure what you are after.
High frets gives you more grip. Yes you can get used to anything but hight makes it easier.

straycat113

For that style of playing I prefer Fender medium Jumbo fretwire which is used on a Beck Strat. But I think more players would prefer Jumbo fretwire which would be on a SRV or Yngwie sig Strat. I just threw those three out there as it will be very easy to walk into any GC and play them to see what you prefer. Though just a warning for some reason the wire Fender uses under their titles would be a bit smaller then say Dunlop jumbo fret wire which would be 6100.When I had my Olly White Clapton Strat for the life of me I couldn't understand why they used vintage wire when I bought it. But I never thought about it while playing and it is really one of 3 guitars I ever regretted selling. After 18 months the bridge pup just upped and died and my friend only had a Beck Hot Noiseless in stock and I didn't want to wait two weeks for him to order and had him throw it in which changed the guitar into something special= just one of those freaky unexplainable happenings.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
taller frets make bending, hammering and chording easier, but feel more bumpy railroad-track-y on slides; they also squeeze sharp if you grip with too much force.

i like the 6100 size; really big and tall for bending, but nice and round, so they're still reasonably smooth on slides.

you really do need to compare for yourself though.

Trending Topics