Best Fuzz Face DIY kits?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tigercasual, Apr 18, 2020.

1. tigercasual

tigercasual Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Hey guys,

I've finally decided to take the plunge and build my own fuzz face.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions on who makes the best DIY Germanium Fuzz Face Kits?

Keep in mind that I am a beginner.

Thanks,
    Danny

2. fuzz guy

fuzz guy Member

Fuzz Face is a great way to start as a beginner. I have built several kits from Fuzz Dog in the UK and they're really good. He supplies good matched transistors with his kits.

The FF that I use though was built for me buy a friend using a General Guitar Gadgets PCB and is modeled after a Fulltone '69, the extra two knobs make the circuit much better IMO. I think with the GGG stuff you need to source your own parts.

big-ez likes this.
  3. twilt

twilt Member

Buildyourownclone.com
    They offer just about every type of fuzz kit you can think of.

I've built a number of their pedals and they are top notch, imo.
    Great forums too, if you need any help along the way.
    Love BYOC!

~Troy

outtahear and Terry Hayes like this.
  4. mulekicker

mulekicker Member

I agree. If you're just starting out, BYOC is a good way to do it.

5. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

Go for the GGG. You do not need to source your own parts. You can buy just the PCB, just all of the guts or a whole kit. Their parts are quality, their layouts and design are solid. The only thing that might be lacking is their build instructions, BYOClone has better ones IIRC but if you can work from a layout or schematic, then grab a GGG Fuzz Face and get to soldering!

https://store.generalguitargadgets.com/kits/kits-fuzz-tones/fuzz-face-complete-kit.html

Edit: it comes with Si transistors but you can source your own Si or Ge transistors to build whatever you want. A lot of options to build your fuzz face your way!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Find a schematic you like and buy parts and a vero or other board to solder to. Your own kit.

I built three different variants in the last couple of weeks and everything fit on a US Quarter sized board. I did the silicon version because I had silicon transistors here without ordering. The link also has germanium drawings. When looking at transistors you can buy, get several different ones and compare their spec sheets for "Hfe" rating as a gain factor.

http://www.fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/fuzzface.php
    [​IMG]

This is one of the others I built. Notice how they have transistor plugs on the board, try to get some of those for your builds.

Start with this one.

7. Moniker

Moniker Guitarchitect Supporting Member

Pedalpcb.com

sunflower (sunface clone). Put in transistor sockets and try out a whole bunch.