Best fuzz for an SG is ___________

I love me a nasty ram's head style Muff copy, but we know the potentially muddy waters that we tread in when dealing with the beefy punch of an SG. Either way, I'll never stop collecting fuzzes of all types just for the hell of it. However me and my band are close to finishing our rough draft demo's and then its straight to the studio, therefore I am searching for "the tone". Anybody ever ran a specific box with your SG that just sounded whacky and radical? I'm thinking a hard driven silicone fuzz face type pedal may be the way to go.

Snufkinoob

If you like Big Muffs, the Arc Effects Big Green seems to be versatile for use with thicker sounding pickups and bass etc.

I've not tried one, so that's just a suggestion to check it out, but I'm considering getting one if I get a humbucker or P90 guitar (and the ones I'm looking at are SG's funnily enough)

Phletch

Wouldn't you also have to consider the amp in that equation, too? The same guitar and pedal combination into different amps is going to yield different results, yes (unless you're going DI).

Wouldn't you also have to consider the amp in that equation, too? The same guitar and pedal combination into different amps is going to yield different results, yes (unless you're going DI).
True dat, I just didn't want to mention that I run through a Mesa Mark V as some people would smack their foreheads and tell me I already have enough sound options with the amp alone.

ufo~

I had a friend many years ago that played an SG into a vintage Buzzaround and I honestly thought it was THE perfect match for that guitar. Tough to find the originals but there are some awesome 'Buzz' clones out there.

my $.02

If you like Big Muffs, the Arc Effects Big Green seems to be versatile for use with thicker sounding pickups and bass etc.

I've not tried one, so that's just a suggestion to check it out, but I'm considering getting one if I get a humbucker or P90 guitar (and the ones I'm looking at are SG's funnily enough)
Looking up soundclips, but I can't find anybody playing anything besides a strat. I would LOVE the idea of a Russian muff that sounded awesome on my main guitar.

Btw, I played a Music Man Albert Lee with 3 P90's the other day. It was pretty awesome. I wonder if that would be up your alley for your next guitar if you like P90 SG's.

Smow09

I use a sound shank with my sg, it's a buzzaround clone and it is perfect for that guitar. I also like to use a bonamassa fuzz face or an eqd dirt transmitter. The dirt transmitter is a two silicon transistor fuzz with a lot of volume and a bias control for Velcro sounds.

krz4fx

When too many really is TOO many...
Gold Supporting Member
Buzzarounds and SG make a great combo. I have an Arcane Analog Death Dealer; a high gain Buzzaround with a master volume that is just awesome!

Smow09

I definitely prefer the way tone bender esque circuits have midrange that stands out. Great for band mixes.

Radspin

I think an SG with humbuckers sounds great with a Fulltone '70 or a Triangle Muff-type fuzz. I have a Ronsound Hairpie, a fantastic Triangle clone, and it's pretty much endless sustain and incredible, thick fuzz with my SG.

Kev O)))

If you want a Muff style fuzz check out the Catalinbread Manx Loaghtan. The Baxandall EQ really let's you tweak for a variety of Muff tones with different types of gear.

It isn't wacky or radical, but my Astrotone sounds great with my SG. Full sounding, can be aggressive depending on pick attack, cleans up well, and cuts through in a band situation. I prefer it to the Scarab Deluxe, but that's personal preference more than anything. Both sound good.

Trending Topics