Best Fuzz for Fu Manchu/QOTSA in an MXR Sized Box??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Josh O, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Josh O

Josh O Member

I remember asking the question a couple of years back for fuzz recommendations for stoner rock. I gave a Barge Concepts BB-Jr a whirl and while it was fuzzy wuzzy, I found it to be a little too much and at that point in time, I was moving away from that sound.

Well, after listening to alot of Fu Manchu and QOTSA today, I'm yearning but I want something in an MXR sized box and matches up well with a Bogner. I've had a Fuzz Head and while a nice pedal, not fuzzy enough. Not a fan of the Fuzz Factory. What else should I be looking at? Ideally I'd like something that gives that thick fuzzy stoner rock vibe but can be tamed back a bit to do a Jimi Fuzz Face type thang.

2. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

Retroman Nu-Fuzz... retroman-music.com
    Has more gain than most fuzz face clones yet cleans up like them
    BIas knob gets you into "spittle" territory when maxed and gives a lot of different tones.
    Tone control cuts bass pre-fuzz so you can tame the "wooliness"
    On/Off switch in Tone knob
    Has AC tap too
    MXR size box

The great underappreciated fuzz out there imo...

3. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Catalinbread SuperCharged Overdrive definitely. The builder has said a few times that he was listening to a lot of Kyuss when he made it. This video gives you a decent idea of the tones (with a different playing style). The pedal in the video is the "american-sized" version. The regular pedal is smaller than an MXR and takes up very little space since all of the connections are on the top.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66wVhVzqxrA&feature=related

4. Jennman47

Jennman47 Supporting Member

I think the box is a just little wider than the MXR box, but an MJM Foxey Fuzz brings the Fu Manchu stoner rock in spades. I just watched Motorcycle Mania 3 with Jesse James and hearing that soundtrack with the Fu Manchu songs got me excited about this pedal all over again.

5. Josh O

Josh O Member

Well it's not an MXR sized box as I was originally looking for but I found the fuzz pedal for me, a Creepy Fingers Creepy Face. Brad from Fu Manchu is making fuzz pedals and this bad boy has Fu's sound all over it when you hit an amp that's already overdrivin some with it. It's a pretty versatile fuzz pedal and can get some fuzz face type sounds out of it and it also has an external bias control for the transistors that can give you some gating effects and even some glitchy synthy stuff if that's your bag.

6. Metalhead Mike

Metalhead Mike Member

Do these have an AC adaptor jack on them? How much is Brad charging? I'll probably just end up waiting until Brad gets back from touring to shoot him an email and order one.

7. Josh O

Josh O Member

The Creepy Face does not have an adapter jack. Brad doesn't use one on this pedal, the transistors he's using in the pedal could be susceptible to damage if the wrong power supply is used so he does not include the jack. I believe he will add it if you really want it. The other pedals he offers does have them standard. I believe the Creepy Face cost me $150.00.

8. djpatb

djpatb Supporting Member

I just got an Earthquaker Devices Dream Crusher.
    It is a heavenly Germanium Fuzz.

9. triviani

triviani Supporting Member

I hope the OP has found a fuzz pedal, it has been 3 years since he asked..

10. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

...he might even be playing in a different style! As for suggestions, previous threads are so full of them I wouldn't know where to begin. I wouldn't really trust the Super Charged OD for that, but that's only me. I would go straight into fuzz or fuzzy OD territory.

11. lonelylooper

lonelylooper Plate of shrimp Silver Supporting Member

Trombetta Mini-Bone,
    Fuzz-Stang.
    Either will get you into, around and beyond...Very different sounding, both great!