Best fuzz pedals for Humbuckers???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sandwell, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Sandwell

Sandwell Member

Hey guys what are your favourite fuzz pedals for humbucker guitars? I currently use a Retroman Lola (tonebender mkII clone) which sounds fantastic with my Les Paul although it slightly gates the sound after a little while (which I heard is a MKII trait) so I was looking for something similar but with a bit more sustain and maybe a little gnarlier and less smooth...
    cheers!

2. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Vox Italian Tonebender. ( think tighter bass version of the MK1.5 ) I love my Castledine Stingray, which is a boutique copy of this classic circuit.

The BJF PPF and the Skreddy Screwdriver is awesome too.

3. vincolla

vincolla Member

Have you ever tried a buzzaround style fuzz? I think it fits your description. I have an EQD Sound Shank and it sounds really good with humbuckers. The Tone Reaper could be another good candidate.

4. talentless hack

talentless hack Member

Way Huge Swollen Pickle. It's a beast to dial in because of the number of controls, the wide range that each control influences, and the way the controls interact with one another - BUT the large number of options means that you're bound to find at least one sound you like.

5. VivaVirilium

VivaVirilium Member

I agree with this and also would add that I am a huge fan of my ZVEX Distortron. Lots of toggle switches to play around with that make it possible to find killer fuzz tone with low output humbuckers, high output humbuckers and even active humbuckers.

6. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

I like my mk1 bender these days

7. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

Without knowing exactly what you're going for, I would suggest hitting the Basic Audio site and going through the clips there.

8. tubetone74

tubetone74 Supporting Member

Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver

9. Sandwell

Sandwell Member

oohh that was the one that Robert Fripp used! that might be just the ticket. is the EQD the best clone out there?

10. Ev O)))

Ev O))) Member

smallsound/bigsound team awesome fuzz machine and buzzz are plenty gnarly and can sustain for as long or as little as you please. Especially the TAFM.

11. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

I like bender types with buckers. I really liked the EQG Tone Reaper.

12. van_delay

van_delay Member

I don't necessarily think of it as a pedal that gets "really gnarly" or is not "smooth" but I can't recommend the Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver enough for humbuckers. It is an amazing pedal that is extremely versatile.

13. jujube

jujube Member

Many pedals out there but PTD Burning Sensation is really musical and controllable. Plenty of sustain. It's however not a nasty gnarly pedal.

14. vincolla

vincolla Member

The EQD sounds great, but I don't think it's a 1:1 clone, it is a buzzaround with a couple of tweaks (which make it more usable). It might be hard to find because the Sound Shank was a limited run.

There are some other manufacturers that make buzzaround clones, the first one that I can think of is Arc effects.

The beauty of that circuit is that it sounds tonebenderish without gating and with a strong presence in the mids, so it's ideal for cutting in a band mix.

15. ejoco

ejoco Member

The buzzaround has been my favorite fuzz circuit with humbuckers. Right now I have the arc effects version (called the crimson king) it does have a little bit of a gate on it, but I find it to be just enough to keep everything quiet with out choking out sustain.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  16. Sandwell

Sandwell Member

do you thinks the tweaks are for the better?

17. playthecray

playthecray Member

Analogman Astrotone (may have to stack with something)
    PTD Mini Bone
    Monsterpiece Ge

18. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Silver Supporting Member

I like the sound of my Candiru Apple through humbuckers. Tight, expressive fuzz with very pleasing decay.

19. vincolla

vincolla Member

Yes, because the Sound Shank, like other modern Buzzaround inspired pedals, has a master volume control, while the original buzzaround doesn't. The controls on the original are Timbre (a tone control, basically), Sustain and Balance, which is a Q3 bias control; it does affect the volume, but not like a volume pot would.

20. bobcunningham

bobcunningham Member

Are there any fuzzes that don't sound good with humbuckers?