Best Fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jshel523, Feb 16, 2012.

1. jshel523

jshel523 Member

Right now, I'm thinking it's the Analogman Peppermint Fuzz, but I haven't put down any money yet. Please give me your guys opinions, you have been right with other recommendations on other pedals, which I ultimately bought. What I want out of it is that early Black Keys sound, and some versatility to boot.

Thanks.

2. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

You probably want a Maestro FZ-1 clone for those sounds. I don't know about versatile though. Peppermint Fuzz is lots of fun but if you want something to use in several different applications I would consider just getting a muff variant.

3. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

Just get the Peppermint if you think its the one. It was the first fuzz I wanted... I have it now, 10 fuzzes later. Its awesome. I can't guarantee it will be the last fuzz you buy, but it would be a great start. If you really want Black keys tones, there are several fuzzes to look at though.

4. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

The Black Keys own a ton of fuzzes. I'd go with a BC108 Fuzz Face or Sun Face. They're music sounds like Band of Gypsys, especially the Buddy Miles songs.

5. TrainBridge

TrainBridge Member

Maestro mfz-1 fuzz! You get one of these and a fulltone soulbender maybe a shin-ei fuzz and you have The Big Come Up through Rubber Factory dialed.

Analogman peppermint fuzz is great though. To be honest you can cop Dan tones with any decent overdrive or fuzz running into a slightly overdrive amp. It's all about the feel.

6. FuzzFaceJ

FuzzFaceJ Member

Black Keys tones? EQD Hoof Fuzz, or maybe Monsterpice NPN

two totally different pedals, Hoof is based on the muff, and NPN is based on the BC108 fuzz face, but both can get those sorta tones

7. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

I really like my Wampler Leviathan. It's got a good usable EQ, and with a switch to go from Germanium to Silicon diodes it's pretty versatile. Here are a couple of YouTube vid demos:

Burgerman666

Music Toyz Network

8. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

Early Black Keys could be covered with the following:

Fulltone SoulBender v.2

Jordan Bosstone clone

EQD Dirt Transmitter

9. AllmanFan

AllmanFan Silver Supporting Member

Russian Tall Letter Big Muff. Dan uses this alot. Of course I think he owns around 30 different fuzz pedals.

10. eknapier

eknapier Member

Pretty sure Black Keys guy uses a high gain AM Sun Face? Lots of textures can be obtained from that pedal, especially when stacking and mixing w/ other effects.... I can certainly get some Black Keys sounds with that pedal.

11. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    Analogman Astrotone for me :omg

12. BlindLUCK

BlindLUCK Member

13. jshel523

jshel523 Member

It'd be nice to also find a little Iommi in a fuzz as well.

14. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

i use a peppermint fuzz along with a nkt 275 high gain sunface. both are good for black keys stuff. the peppermint nails that sound in your head a little better though. the sunface is a close second, but has more versatility. i highly recommend both. pulling the trigger on either will be satisfying, but the peppermint will be a little cheaper.

recently i've been in love with the wren and cuff tall font russian, which is basically sovtek big muff. that really nails tones like "countdown" or "i'll be your man" off their first album. i'm an analogman junkie, and hold his fuzzes in the highest regards, but i can't stop recommending the wren and cuff TFR.

15. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

16. jshel523

jshel523 Member

Do you think some of the pedals mentioned, especially the Peppermint could do Sabbath - Into the Void, Supernaut, Tomorrow's Dream. with some balls? Doesn't have to have the same sound, but applied to those songs with nadz. What's your guys thoughts? I play my own material somewhere in between the Blacks. Black Keys, Black Sabbath, Black Angels, and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

17. QQQ

QQQ Member

PTD Mini-Bone. Awesome pedal. I only sold it because I just don't use fuzz tones enough.

18. Rory_Rules

Rory_Rules Supporting Member

19. jw112

jw112 Member

Early black keys = Maestro FZ-1 clone

20. justnick

justnick Gold Supporting Member

See if any of these work for you...