1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Best gear to connect spring reverb into line-level patchbay?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Michael, May 16, 2011.

1. Michael

Michael Member

I have a very nice spring reverb that I use between my guitar and my guitar amp. I would like to connect it to my studio patchbays and use it during mixdown.

It is a tube buffered unit...........to be specific, a Dumblelator-type circuit with the reverb hard-wired into its effects loop.

My studio (Pro Tools HD, mixer, rack units) runs at +4 line level, so I have the impedance mis-match problem. So, I need:
    (1) A Reamp type of unit on the input, to convert from low impedance to high impedance.
    (2) A unit on the output, to convert back to low impedance and to amplify the signal back up to line level. Note: I may not need much amplification if any, since the unit has three level controls (main signal, effects loop send, and effects loop return).

I am looking for quality units, but I can't afford to spend a lot on gear that is dedicated to a single reverb. For example, I can't afford a high end preamp with DI to put on the output.

What two units would be good buys for this application?

Here's one combination I found:
    - Radial J-Iso for input to reverb ($260)
    - Radial J+4 for output from reverb ($200)

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. loudboy

loudboy Member

Try just wiring it in...

Keep the send down very low and as you don't need a lot of 'verb on the return usually, the lowered output may be fine.

You won't damage anything, and you may get lucky.

3. Michael

Michael Member

I have tried it, and I got distortion and what sounded like artifacts, due to the impedance mis-match I assume.

4. loudboy

loudboy Member

It's probably a level thing, vs. impedance.

Impedance mismatches usually just cause changes to frequency response/levels.

I used to patch a Sansamp and DLS Echo pedals into the FX loops of the console at the studio and it worked just fine, using appropriate adapter cables.

5. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I like to use the MW-1 for these situations.

On the low end, I believe Ebtech makes level shifting boxes. You could also scour ebay for old level matching transformers. I got a box full of mil spec 10K:1M audio transformers for $20 once.