Best germanium fuzz that isn't Sunface NKT275

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shngn7, Sep 6, 2008.

1. shngn7

shngn7 Member

I was just wonder what you all think on this subject because it seems fairly clear that the Sunface is a crowd favorite around here. My local music store has a lot of boutique to production line fuzz out there. I have a good Si fuzz already so I am just interested in Ge style. They have a Sunface BC108 and a standard germanium (I think...doesn't say NKT275 on the box) without sundial. The main point is I am just curious what you would get if a Sunface is out of the question, unless you think I should go for the standard Ge one. External bias knobs are preferred. Thanks!

2. Structo

Structo Member

Well there is a reason the Sunface is popular.
    It's the best fuzz made currently IMHO.
    I think that if you are using one with Ge transistors that a bias control (sundial) is mandatory. Ge trannies are very temperature and voltage sensitive so the ability to adjust the bias to suit the conditions is a very good thing.

3. Kelly

Kelly Member

Fulltone '69, if you can afford one.

tozum likes this.
  4. eric-d

eric-d Member

MJM London Fuzz - $169 all day long - get it with an internal bias trim pot.

5. shngn7

shngn7 Member

Cool thanks guys! Money is not an issue by the way. I'm not going over say $400 though. Keep 'em coming!

6. Cado

Cado Member

7. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Keeley FuzzHead

8. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Do you just want a Germanium fuzz or do you want a Germanium Fuzz Face??

The standard AM Ge Sunface is still quite good, not as good as the NKT version IMO...just curious, why NOT the NKT version??

If you want to go else where for Ge FF tones there are some good sounding Fulltone 69 pedals out there but IMO not all of them sound as good as most folks would have you think.

I've heard good things aobut the Hartman but I've not tried done myself.

There is also Roger Mayer stuff as well, soem of those are really nice too.

Another cool one is the Diaz Fuzz which has sockets and can be set up Si, Ge or hybrid.

You could also go NON Fuzz Face which leaves mostly Tonebenders and such....lots of choices (and opinions on this as well...).

9. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

Probably the biggest sleeper and one that nobody seems to know about is the Retroman NuFuzz. I had one and sadly sold it. You can get it with NKT's if you want but the standard germ trannies that Joe uses sounds wonderful and just a tad more grainy than NKT's.

The design is great with the built in On/Off swith, AC tap and a great Tone knob that I think cuts bass before the fuzz so you can tame the low end and get great overdrive sounds. Lastly, the Bias knob has a very wide range so you can also get into that Fuzz Factory / Peppermint Fuzz spittle.

Workmanship is some of the best I have seen, comes in a nice cloth bag and Joe is a really, really nice guy...very responsive. Highly recommended!

www.retroman-music.com

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

i wouldnt really put that in the *pure* fuzz catagory. its more like a lead boost pedal that injects your sound w/ a ton of treble and upper midrange that happens to be helped along by a nice germ or si flavored fuzz, which is what i think rob was shooting for.

11. fazen

fazen Member

The op said
    D*A*M easily over $400 with the exchange and shipping.

12. shngn7

shngn7 Member

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the suggestions. Sorry for not clarifying earlier, but I am looking for a Fuzz Face style fuzz. The Hartman and Retroman sound like the coolest ones so far. MJM London sounds like a good bet too. It seems like the '69 is hit or miss...or just miss in some cases/reviews. Is there really that big a difference between AC188 and NKT transistors?

13. mfgobbi

mfgobbi Member

I have a Monterey Fuzz (by sweet sound) from a couple years back that sounds really good but I cannot comment on comparisons with the sunface. The fact is that NKT275s have become so rare that Fulltone stopped making the 69 (a fantastic pedal BTW) and many others have limited production or stopped using them altogether as well. On the other hand, there has been reports of counterfeit NKT275 transistors being sold. I don't know if my pedal uses real NKT275 and I honestly have serious doubts about the authenticity of any currently made pedal with NKT275.

14. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

I believe that you simply don't know how to adjust this pedal to make such a statement? The FuzzHead is an exceptionaly great sounding pedal that is good for far more than a lead boost, and is cappable of standing on its own to produce great tone. Although, perhaps not "pure" GE it is nonetheless a great option for the OP to explore for FuzzFace GE type tones.

15. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

16. m@2

m@2 Member

'69 i did just sell mine, but it was a great fuzz. and yes, I have a sunface NKT275 now : )

17. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

I second that London Fuzz vote. Better than most origional Fuzzfaces, and thats not ********.

CT.

18. M Hossa

M Hossa Member

What a joke...

19. tzamosti

tzamosti Silver Supporting Member

Pro Analog Scary Face...a little more focused and biting than the Sunface...which is a bit warmer and doesn't cut as well. Both great.