Best gigging amp for $800 or less.

mprvise

Help me help a bandmate. His amp blew up on Saturday and he doesn't have a lot of disposable income (wife, three kids, etc.). He needs something quick and I'm not very familiar with stuff in that price range. What do you guys suggest? He's coming from a Hot Rod Deluxe. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks. :)

dk123123dk

Peavey Classic 30 1x12 or Peavey Delta Blues 1x15/2x10"

Crate V Series V33H with an Avatar 2x12" cab

Peavey Valve King 112

Crate V Series V50 112

Crate V Series V18 212

Crate Palomino V32 112

Epiphone Blues Custom 212

Vox Ac15CC1 112

Peavey Valve King 212

Traynor YCV40WR

Traynor YCV50Blue

Ampeg J-20 Jet 112

dk

gdomeier

Gold Supporting Member
I would add Carvin Vai legacy. Lots of good amps in that price range, especially used.

9-Pin

Since he is already familiar with the Fender cleans, I would say a Deluxe Reverb Reissue. He should be able to find a new one for less than that, and if he was willing to go used, he could find one cheaper ($500-600). If there is $$$ left over, I would recommend a speaker change, but it is not necessary for the amp to sound good. There are also a lot of easy mods out there to help tune the amp to personal preferences.

Jarrett

Line6 Spider Valve without a doubt. Especially if he needs to cover a lot of sonic territory, or even if he does not.

Dendog

Help me help a bandmate. His amp blew up on Saturday and he doesn't have a lot of disposable income (wife, three kids, etc.). He needs something quick and I'm not very familiar with stuff in that price range. What do you guys suggest? He's coming from a Hot Rod Deluxe. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks. :)
Can't the Hot Rod be fixed? To me that would seem the cheapest way out. Personally, the Vox AC15cc is the best under $1000 I've played, but I like those Fenders too.

mprvise

if he doesn't have a lot of disposable income maybe he can just get his amp fixed?
Been there, done that - this is the third time it's left him stranded at a gig in the 10 or so years he's had it, and the second time in the past few months. He's gotten a lot of great use out of it, but he's ready for something else. Luckily on Saturday there was another local player there who has some great stuff and lives close to the club. 10 minutes later a highly modified Prosonic (Mercury transformer, internals, vintage speaker, etc.) was on stage and we were back up and running.

bynt

I would suggest if he as 800.00 to spend to look at the used stuff out there. The new stuff (although I echo almost every suggestion that was given) is great and all but for a gigging amp and being financially strapped, I would say go for something a bit more reliable. This is not a bash on circuit board amps. This is a bash on amps with tubes, jacks, and knobs MOUNTED to the circuit board. That's the #1 contention with almost every amp that comes into the store where I give lessons. And that's the case with most of the suggestions listed.
So, for 800.00, I've gotten my Zinky Blue Velvet (off of TGP for 740.00) which is a BEAST for build quality. Siverface Twin Reverbs are cheap, too. I damn near couldn't give mine away (sold it for 750.00 and it was a 71 NMV). They seem to be the least collectable of all the old Silverface amps which is great if one is broke because they sound really good and are tanks (wiegh as much as one as well). That's just my suggestion. Post a WTB on the amp page with the budget and go from there. Then he could have "Mr. Right" perhaps instead of just "Mr. Right now", as it were. Good luck, that's a sucky feeling.

John Thigpen

Silver Supporting Member
I'll second the Peavey Classic 50 and Crate V30 recommendations, and add the Genz Benz Black Pearl, as the 1x12 can be had new for not much more that his budget. There may not be very many used ones out there. Vox/Matchless inspired and built like a tank...high quality PCB. The standard Eminence Red Fang speaker is great.

John

FFTT

For an emergency hold over amp the Peavy classic 30
will do for a while without going nuts.
He needs something fast, so trying to find a good used Silverface
may not be an option, but that's what I'd do given his budget.

Blues Deville. non hot rod used.
Zinky Velvet
Fender DR re-issues, Vibrolux Re-Issue
Used Vox AC30

If he could stretch his budget a bit further, I'd recommend the Gries 20 or Gries 35

Guinness Lad

Here's some options:

Easy to get, used Fender Bassman LTD - the best amp listed so far

Harder to get - Fender Prosonic great channel switcher

Mesa Mark series (if you want lots options)

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
... 10 minutes later a highly modified Prosonic (Mercury transformer, internals, vintage speaker, etc.) was on stage and we were back up and running.
A Prosonic wouldn't be a bad choice...mine's been a real workhorse.

For $800 though I'd seriously consider a silverface Super Reverb; easy to work on and truly gigworthy.

powermatt99

I'm extremely happy with my Epiphone Blues Custom 30. They can be had for $400ish. They sound good stock but new tubes and speakers really make them sing. They have a very versatile EQ making them capable of many different sounds. They take pedals very well, especially after the Tungsol RI upgrade.

Trending Topics