Best graphic eq

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by theinteriorleag, Mar 17, 2008.

Which graphic eq is best?

Poll closed Dec 31, 1969.
  1. Maxon ge601

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Boss ge-7 monte allum mod

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Boss ge-7 tone-jam sniper mod

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Mxr M-108 10 band

12 vote(s)
    34.3%
  5. Mxr M-106 6 band

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. BYOC 10-band

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

How do they compare?

Criteria: No tone sucking when off, and little to no noise when on.

I put together a BYOC, but it was a bit noisy...probably my fault. I need to get a good one that isn't too noisy, and I'll probably have it on most of the time.

2. 4styx

4styx Member

This might come as a shock,but there was a thread on another forum(GE7 vs Fish and Chips).All the replys saying the Dano eq was better.Who'd a thunk it.

3. jb1911

jb1911 Member

The 6 band MXR is actually the M-109. It's also the one I chose. It's small and runs on 9v. It also has all the right centers on it's bands for guitar. 10 band EQs are overkill, imo.

4. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

sorry 'bout the wrong taxonomy on the MXR. I was thinking of going for the Maxon, but I really didn't know if the Boss mods made those pedals better than the Maxon, or if the MXR is the way to go. I'm less worried about size and cost than being able to use a lot of boost and cut without adding too much noise.

5. Electric I

Electric I Member

The Dano fish & chips should also be on the list. Quiet, effective & inexpensive to boot.

6. pgissi

pgissi Member

The Boss GE-7 is a 12volt pedal and there are others that run on 18vdc maybe 24vdc. I doubt the cheap ass Dano sounds better, depends on who is answering the forum polls, what are they into, trash distortion which is fine, you just have to keep it in perspective and consider the source.

Higher Power supply voltage is what you want in an EQ for the most headroom possible. Without it, if you clip the supply rails of this type of pedal, it wont produce a pleasing OD, only nasty distortion.

If thats what you want thats fine just keep that in mind when considering which pedal is better.

7. Rocksully

Rocksully Member

I used the Boss GE-7 with the Monte Allums mod. I really liked it. It just made the pedal SO much better, but the only problem was that if the pedal was not turned on, it ruined the tone of the guitar. Just KILLED my guitar signal but that's a Boss for you. I sold it because of that problem, but adding the Monte Allums mod did make it a brand new pedal.

8. Balok

Balok Member

The Boss PQ-4 is a secret magic box IMO. I run one in an fx loop and it adds a beautiful gloss to everything. It's just a 2 band parametric - zero frills, but they stumbled on some formula in that circuit.

9. stratocaster

stratocaster Member

Boss GE-7 is 9v according to the Boss website.

EQ is for boosting/cutting frequencies/shaping tone, they're not really designed for OD/distortion, that's generally the realm of OD/distortion pedals.

Dano Fish'n Chips doesn't actually do trash distortion, nasty distortion or pleasing OD, it just EQ's, very effectively, very quietly with no fuss (or fuzz)

10. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

I just came across the AMT eq-7. I can't add it to the poll, but does anyone have experience with this one?

11. shikawkee

shikawkee Mad King Edmund Gold Supporting Member

I have the Maxon and love it, very clean and no artifacts off or on, but I also like my 10-band MXR which has a bit more control over the higher freq's.

12. pgissi

pgissi Member

Sorry I forgot, I have an older 12volt version