Best greenback type speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Wheelbarrow, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Wheelbarrow

Wheelbarrow Member

I'm going to get a 2x12 or 4x12 soon and I'm thinking about using either neo speakers or greenback type speakers. What's the best greenback out there? The real celestion kind or another brand? Should I get some that have higher power ratings than the celestions?

2. JamesHealey

JamesHealey Member

South Bay Amp Works... Scumback Speakers.

end of.

3. hamfist

hamfist Member

I hate to be such a sheep, but I agree completely. Scumback M75's are what you need.

4. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

+1 on Scums. I've had old greenbacks, reissues, and now the Scums. For greenback tone, the Scums are tops.

5. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

another plus on scums.

You also might want to look into the Weber 1225 with pre rola treatment.

6. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

I had a similar question.. i am not digging my celestions and wondered how much of a diff these make when recording. Nothing is available in Canada fist off so we are screwed there. Second, I also wondered about the Stan Spec. When you order, do you have to fill out a custom order for them or does he have it now that you select the 12-25 ceramic and choose pre rola dopping?

7. Wheelbarrow

Wheelbarrow Member

So it looks like the scumbacks are the best choice. One last question:
    Will two 65 watt M75 scumbacks in a good closed back cab be able to cover all the different old and new EVH sounds and still be able to do a decent fender clean sound?

8. wreckboy

wreckboy Supporting Member

Stan Spec Weber w/ Pre Rola Treatment are great!

9. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

Not trying to be an ass,...seriously -- how can Scums be better for "greenback tone" than actual, real, old greenbacks? :confused:

10. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Never had the Scums, nor played through them, so I can't offer anything on them.

As to the Celestion Greenies. . .I've got a Greenie as one of the 12" speakers in my Matchless DC-30, and it's the one that gets a mic when recording. (The other speaker is a Vintage 30).

However, I've got a pair of Heritage Greenies in my Germino 2 X 12 and they sound incredible. They're rated at 20 watts and not 25 watts like the regular Greenies. They're nearly as costly as a Celestion Blue, so that needs to be taken into consideration.

11. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

Because you don't find old greenbacks that easily and then there are reliability issues. Also, the scumbacks and Weber are designed after some of the best sounding old speakers that both those gentlemen had access to. what they created was a best sounding greenback speaker.

Email Southbayamp works for more info on their speakers. They'll hook you up with a recommendation. I just can't swing it financially right now so i am considering the stan spec. They also sound good from what i have heard.

12. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I still like the plain old standard RI G12M Greenbacks.

I'm currently using a quad of them in a 4x12 with my old vintage Marshall heads and they sound great to my ears. I actually prefer them over the more expensive Heritage version.

13. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

A legitimate question, no offense taken.

See above response by Kapo_Polenton:

"Because you don't find old greenbacks that easily and then there are reliability issues. Also, the scumbacks and Weber are designed after some of the best sounding old speakers that both those gentlemen had access to. what they created was a best sounding greenback speaker."

14. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

15. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

The reissue UK Greenback was designed as a more modern toned M(75hz 25w) as is the newer Chinese frame model. Vintage afficianodo's may not care for their midrange snarl but they're very well received nonetheless.

16. superunknown

superunknown Member

+1...."Stan Spec" Ted Weber Ceramic 1225 with pre-rola doping.....:dude

17. mesanatic

mesanatic Member

Celestion Heritage G12M. Just a great speaker. EVH cab.
    Or the standard reissue for less breakup at higher gain/volumes. 1960BX cab.

18. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I also like Scums...but if you're on a budget check out the Mojo Tone BV-25M. I have a pair in my 2x12 18w clone. I believe these are what Aiken used to use in his combo after lots of testing...they seem to have a bit more bass than greenies.
    Greg