Best guitar around 1200 or under?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by fuzzyratfarts, Mar 22, 2006.

1. fuzzyratfarts

fuzzyratfarts Member

What company will give me the best sound and easiest play? I DON'T want a 'standard' guitar, i.e. not a Strat, LP, Tele, I don't want it to be a recognized guitar. Resonant and full sounding, and as far as style I like the look of the Briggs or PRS Santana Model (the ones Santana plays) style or something similar...I want humbuckers or P90s, and I am open to any ideas...I really enjoy exotic wood schemes and I want a solid feeling guitar, but it need not be LP heavy. No guitars with pickguards. I want a woody looking guitar...SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!

2. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I hate to say this, but you're asking the impossible. POSSIBLY Hamer?

3. Jaya

Jaya Supporting Member

McInturff Royal or Sportster.
    Jaya

4. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Check out the Ernie Ball music man line of guitars. They are made in the USA and sound and play great.

5. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Supporting Member

don't laugh...micheal kelly patriot. made in korea sounds great plays killer and has gold hardware. grover tuners. $350 tops

6. K-man

K-man Member

You should be able to pick up a used Hamer Newport for around $1200. P90's and a Bigsby, an absolutely killer axe.

7. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Definitely a used Hamer of some sort. Studio, Artist, Special, Newports, you can get them all for $1200 or less (far less depending on the model) used and Hamer makes great guitars.

-Austin

8. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

I personally would have to agree with the Ernie Ball suggestion I think for the money they are the best built guitars with G&L being a very close second. I have owned the guitars mentioned so far.

9. amper

amper Member

$1200 or under? Rickenbacker 650D. As woody as they come (neck-through rock maple and walnut with an oil finish), and lists under $1100. Not the usual thing you see on stage. Nice full sound with two humbucking pickups. Even available with a trem. 100% Made in USA, and like any Rickenbacker, will *always* hold it's value.

Highly recognizable, though, so you may not want it...

10. MOJO

MOJO Member

11. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I've wondered about those...they really have a boutiquey look.

I was also going to mention Hamer.

12. photoguy

photoguy Member

13. Thor

Thor Member

The Carvin California Carve Top has the PRS vibe and seems to be a solid guitar and in your specified price range. You can also customize it to your tastes when you order.

Herritage is another option (though it definatly is a Gibson vibe).

Lots of other good suggestions listed in the previous posts. Good luck with your search, and let us know what you end up with.

14. 12stringer

12stringer Guest

15. lhallam

lhallam Member

There was a thread here about a year ago on the topic of "best off the shelf gtr". I went through all the pages and Ernie Ball/Music Man was mentioned more than any other company. High raves on price and quality. It's probably worth your while to check it out for yourself.

16. Luke

Luke Senior Member

You should narrow your criteria a bit. Do you have a scale length, neck construction method or fingerboard material preference? For that matter, what about issues like neck wood type, body wood type, solid body or chambered construction. If you are shopping used there are many choices, that's why think you need to focus the search a bit more so you are not overwhelmed.

17. sw686blue

sw686blue Member

You could pretty much get any type of Hamer for that price. Best bang for the buck IMO.

18. fuzzyratfarts

fuzzyratfarts Member

Rosewood fingerboard for sure

and I would love one of these on it:
    [​IMG]
    or
    [​IMG]
    But I realize that is an uncommon feature, so that is not overly important.

Also important is NO SOLID COLORS. I want to SEE some nice wood all over, covering up nice wood is ridiculous!

I want two humbuckers or an HSS configuration.

19. Blauserk

Blauserk Member

Another vote for Hamer. Particularly the stuff they've made since the move to Connecticut in the late 1990s. Incredibly consistent, toneful stuff.

If you're after an exotic wood, they made a Koa guitar in the mid 1990s called the Mirage which is sonically quite versatile. HHB on this forum is a gigging pro who swears by his.

Personally, I like the Artist Korina (mine is with P90s, but they also come with hums), which can be had with 2 pups in minty condition for under $900, and with three pups for about $1100. Incredibly versatile sonically, but korina is no longer "exotic" wood.

20. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Supporting Member

Ernie Ball/Music Man Axis Rosewood. The best thing for around $1200, period. That things sounds and feels great. The perfect rock machine!

Or any EBMM for that matter...