Best guitar builder for the $$$

supar6

Silver Supporting Member
I know this is kind of a loaded questions so I'm prepared to accept loaded answers! I'm looking for a guitar builder to make me a strat clone built to spec.. Nothing fancy - but I'm looking for something with a relic'd neck, vintage frets with a 7.25" to 9.5" radius board. Everything else is up in the air.

I'm looking for recommendations for the best builder for the buck! I'm not looking for the cheapest by any means as I want a quality guitar but I figured with all the experience on this board this would be the best place to start.

Thanks for any opinions and experience!

HIPCHIP

I'd say check with Fender. Their Custom Shop and semi-custom shop stuff is great. If you want a little more input without the extra price, go try a Carvin if you can. Check their catalog and take a look at that. You can order about anything. Other than that, check at your local music store and see if they have anybody that can help you.

Only other person I know who makes guitars is Joe Dragony. He's expensive, but makes some beautiful guitars. You can do a Google on him and it will come up with his info. He's in Carmichael, Calif. I believe.

02Singlecut

IMHO !
For a Strat-Tele 25.5" scale guitar....Hands down Don Grosh.

For a Traditional Set Neck HB'n guitar 24.5" -25.0" scale guitar......PRS

Both ooze nothing but quality and superior builds!!!!! Don builds a dam GREAT Set neck also. I have had nothing but great experiences with both companies!!! :JAM

frank62

Fender still makes the best Fender. If you want a copy or parts guitar then do it yourself. There is no special skill in putting together a parts guitar. What you are describing in your specs is a well used 50s/60s MIM classic strat. Around 500 bucks. Do yourself a favor and just get the real thing. Fender.

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
JIm Surles in Cotati is very reasonable and does some fine work. Last I heard he may have gone to India for awhile, but you should contact Zone Music in Cotati and they'll know where he is.

Simpy

Check out Rick Kelly's stuff. He does some old school stuff, bodies all hand carved, necks too. He's more known for his 52 Teles, but I've been so impressed with my Tele, I've recently ordered a strat from him.

Nick Sorenson

Rocketfire Guitars
Silver Supporting Member
Thanks Asaf,
I got the stack of bodies that your 3 tone is coming out of last week. They look very nice. Good grain and light weight. Some of the best quality Alder I've seen in a while. 'The tone' should be in there! That's what makes this worth doing!
Talk to you soon,
Nick

nick of rocketfire will get you what you want and its in a very reasonable price.
check him out, he's got lots of harmony-central feedback and also here.

www.rocketfireguitars.com

goodasaf

Thanks Asaf,
I got the stack of bodies that your 3 tone is coming out of last week. They look very nice. Good grain and light weight. Some of the best quality Alder I've seen in a while. 'The tone' should be in there! That's what makes this worth doing!
Talk to you soon,
Nick

see what i mean - nick will get ya what you ask and the customer service is already in there...:D

Trending Topics