Best guitar for $1,500

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Akap124, Aug 26, 2015.

1. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Member

A Gibson SG.

Smashies likes this.
  2. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

Mistake to quantify (or qualify) musical instruments by $$$ amounts. I know it's done all of the time, and this is TGP, but still, not the best.

Last night I did a studio session playing a $500 MIM Fender thin line. As in many high-end studios, I had available and could've played damn near any guitar that would've made people's mouth water, incl. choice of several vintage. But that Tele was fine, and more than fine, for the purpose and situation. Nobody (I hope!) is gonna listen to that track and say, "Wait a minute....what did you pay for that guitar?")

We all need to know what the guitar is FOR, I think, before we start reaching for the credit card or checkbook.
    I hope I'm not being Captain Obvious here.

bgmacaw, Smashies and zztomato like this.
  3. 73Fender

73Fender Member

So many choices especially if you buy used. Bang for buck used Hamers and Heritages or AVRI Fenders. I've gotten a Nocaster (no COA) PRS Korina Braz board McCarty , CS SG no COA again, 62 Hot Rod Strat, Hamers Heritages Gibson's for half that etc etc all for less than that 1500. Narrow it down depends on what you want

4. wilblee

wilblee Hack sans shame Gold Supporting Member

The next time I get $1500 to spend on a guitar, I'll be looking for another used DGT.

JackStraw12 likes this.
  5. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Member

I got my ES339 NEW about that price. It's a fantastic guitar, and I've had it for close to 7 years now.

6. Guitarwiz007

Guitarwiz007 Silver Supporting Member

Not sure if some would consider it a "best" guitar but I can't imagine anyone that owns one wouldn't consider the Tyler Variax by far the most versatile. I just got one and this thing is off the hook! Had to set it up a bit but I'm impressed with what it can do. I can't imagine my money spent any wiser.

7. djbrough

djbrough Member

8. billbixby

billbixby Member

Guitar store? Are there any left besides Guitar Center? PRS SE's, Gibson LP Studios, Fender MIM strats. That's about all they carry.

9. Maggie_O

Maggie_O Member

10. Smashies

Smashies Silver Supporting Member

I semi-second this. I think it might be a challenge to find a used one for $1,500.00 without skillful negotiations.

11. Smashies

I'm putting this in my signature, if that suits you.

12. Suave Eddie

Suave Eddie Member

You can have a new G&L custom made to your specs for $1500 or less depending on your options.

Guitarwiz007 and Smashies like this.
  13. Smashies

This. All day long.

One of my biggest guitar heroes, in terms of skill and tone, is Jake Cinninger (Umphrey's McGee). He plays G&L guitars exclusively and his 3 main guitars have been with him forever. In terms of dollars spent, these G&L Legacies are a huge contrast money-wise when you pair them next to the guitars of his bandmate and fellow lead/rhythm guitarist and vocalist, Brendan Bayliss, who plays a PRS single-cutaway which, to my understanding, is a sort of Mark Tremonti PRS without the signature name on it--last I checked those go for about $3,200).

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    Guitarwiz007 likes this.
  14. Smashies

15. phatsolid

phatsolid Silver Supporting Member

The Carvin is great, so long as you don't mind talking a bath if you try to re-sell it.

Something like a PRS DGT is a great option, esp. if you don't already have a humbucker guitar, and will hold it's value much better if you decide to re-sell it.

16. twitch

twitch Member

I got my Gretsch 6120 around that price. Hamer USA would be another to look at, but they become harder to find, and the prices are creeping up. And you could find used Melancon's in the price range, I did. Couldn't be happier with these guitars, and they are all very different. Hard to say which is "better".

17. guitargeek6298

guitargeek6298 Member

True, resell isn't great, but I think all the options help you to get what you want, you won't have to resell it. That's the theory anyways.

+1 to the Hamer USA as well. My favorite guitar is a USA Hamer.

18. Whittlez

Whittlez Member

On the used market, the choices are endless.

I'm a Gretsch guy so I would say - a 6118, a Setzer TV Jones equipped Hot Rod, a Duo Jet, a Country Club are all great choices. All used, post-FMIC - great quality, can get a mint one, and no worries about binding Rot, neck reset, regrets etc like with. The vintage

I don't like Fender Strats, but a Super Strat like a Washburn N4 is awesome

I sold my 2009 N4 for $1300 last week

You might find a used AS200 or more likely AS100 for that price, an ES335 killer for $1500

You could get an unreal Burny Les Paul if LP's are your thing

Guild Starfires are in that range

Gretsch Sparkle Jet or Power Jet

Any top of the line G&L ASAT tele

Etc

These are just used guitars around $1500

There's a trillion awesome values all
    The way down to $100

19. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Mod Squad Staff Member

Sorry for the crappy pic, but that Gibson ES-333 in the foreground was THE best used buy, ($900), I've been able to find in a long while. I installed some aftermarket pickups in it, (Lollar Imperials), just because they suited my taste more....and I added the pickguard, but for well under $1500, you can have a REALLY fine sounding, playing & looking guitar.

[​IMG]

20. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

Hmmmm - $1500 can land you a very nice used Grosh EJ - Just not mine;)

There are a lot in this price range....used. I'd be inclined to look at the Fender Deluxe Strat with the soft V neck. Probably leave you enough money for a Rockett Blue Note to go with it!