Best Guitar For A Cover Band

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by StratStringSlinger, Jul 13, 2019.

1. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Supporting Member

Curious what you all think would be the best guitar for a cover band. This would be for pretty much every genre from the 60’s till current. I was thinking either a PRS Custom 24-08 or a Strat with a humbucker in the bridge position. Thoughts?

2. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

As long as the player knows what he/she is doing it really doesn’t matter.

3. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

P90 equipped Les Paul will cover a lot of ground.

skeeterbuck, LPTyler, vbf and 3 others like this.
  4. jm9239

jm9239 Supporting Member

PRS Special Semi Hollow
    Danocaster Doublecut HSS

5. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Tele.

Whatever the question, the answer is always a tele.

6. Obsessive Tinkerer

Obsessive Tinkerer Member

HSS Strat, Suhr wiring. End of story.

[​IMG]

7. dancehall

dancehall Member

As the owner of a dual P90 Reverend, I'm constantly amazed by how versatile it is. The Bass Contour Control is absolutely key.

8. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

There are no versatile guitars, only versatile guitarists.

I play in a cover band, and my skills, the amp and effects are much more important than whatever guitar I feel like playing that day.

9. Jupiter Tarts

Jupiter Tarts Member

True story. I've got a PRS Custom 24, an LP, a Suhr Tele, and a Suhr Strat. After awhile they all started to sound the same-ish because it was still my rig and it was still me playing. But my personal go tos are my Tele and then my Les Pauls.

10. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

It depends on how much you want to try nailing the original tone. A Variax is the best. But I’ve found that a lot of those tones just get lost in a live setting anyway, so I don’t obsess about it much anymore and just find sounds I like. The one exception is probably funk - seems like you need that Strat quack to nail that sound.

11. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Supporting Member

No stage room for a 2nd guitar?

S type and a dual hb

StratStringSlinger likes this.
  12. woof*

woof* Member

Strat, and there’s absolutely no need for a humbucker.

GCDEF, Baxtercat, Fenderesq and 3 others like this.
  13. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

I have had a Cu24 for years and it's a great guitar. It's a bit modern, though, and there is a good bit of drop-off in the split positions that makes it a challenge to deal with. I bought it specifically to be the Swiss army knife, and was never totally satisfied with it. The 24-08 with the split options may be better.

I will give you three that I'd easily grab to do any cover gig. First is my Suhr Custom Classic. HSS with a DSV in the bridge wired to be series/parallel with no split in position 2. The parallel position is kind of my default, and it balances well with the singles. Sounds quite a bit to my ear like a tele bridge pickup - far more useable than the typical strat bridge unit. Push down the lower tone pot and it's in series and barks like a humbucker should.

Next up is my PRS Studio - one of the more recent ones in the early 2010's. Narrowfields in the neck and middle, full size bucker in the bridge. The humbuckers are very much vintage voiced - probably not the best for your Five Finger Death Punch tribute band, but it'll hold up to 80's hard rock just fine. The narrowfields are the sleeper in this guitar. They work incredibly well with the volume control to give you a wide range of single-coil-ish tones from P-90 to Strat and Tele. Not a complete sonic match, but enough to get through three sets of variety.

Last is my most recent, and I'm incredibly smitten by it. A PRS Special Semihollow. Essentially a "22-08" with a 5-way and a middle narrowfield in a semihollow body. I'm absolutely amazed by the variety of great tones available. It's not going to quack like a strat for funk numbers, but it's close enough to get you through in the middle three positions with the humbuckers split. Full-on, the humbuckers are every bit as thick and chunky as you'd want. They're not cheap, but this may be the most versatile PRS I've ever played.

shando98 likes this.
  14. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Im gonna say a hss strat. Mine has sss and I make it work. I tend to stay away from the bridge pup.

15. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

I always got more flexibility from a Fender type than I did from a Gibson type...

OldHootOwl likes this.
  16. Gclef

Gclef Member

1. Hss strat
    2.p90 short scale mahogany type
    3.a strat with the Clapton circuit.

My favorite is my carvin holdsworth h2. 2hb, strat scale, Tom bridge, semi hollow alder body and alder neck.

So clear and bright but midrange with breat note separation. It can't do a strat sound but can get fendery.

Cut the tone knob, add compression and gain, and some bass, and it gets very thick sounding. I would have no need for a les paul.

17. BootRoots

BootRoots Member

Whatever one is most comfortable for you.

Scary Uncle G. and theRagman like this.
  18. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

I like P90s, but with your interests I would go HSS strat.

19. SecondFloorTones

SecondFloorTones Member

20. OldHootOwl

OldHootOwl Member

Hardtail: Tele. Les Paul.
    Trem: Jazzmaster

Those are pretty much the most versatile guitars I can think of. Whenever one of those "Can you play everything you could want to play with just three guitars?" type of discussions comes up, those three would be my answer.

If you put a gun to my head and made me pick ONE and ONLY ONE go everywhere, do anything guitar and I couldn't play anything else, I'd go with an ASAT Special.

scelerat likes this.