best guitar for little KIDS to start on .. ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kolbyt85, Apr 19, 2016.

1. kolbyt85

kolbyt85 Supporting Member

I see the baby taylor may be a good choice or even possibly a martin travel guitar?

My daughter is six and has a strong passion for music already. I really want to start teaching her how to play soon, she tries on her little "princess" guitar from toys r us and its just garbage.. ha. Anyone have any recommendations?

2. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

Ukulele. I'm not kidding. They are great for little fingers, and it's easy to get them making music.

Gonkboy and MrLahey like this.
  3. kolbyt85

great idea ... !

4. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

A Córdoba or Yamaha classical. Then Baby Taylor. Then electric. Up to a certain degree, more physical effort=less accuracy.

I've found you can get away with so much on the electric, it's actually difficult to teach little kids proper technique first on it. Steel strings may be too tough, hampering the development of finger independence and balanced posture, among other things. After developing proper technique (finger independence) and the ability to "squeeze" and "shape" the tone/sound/timbre out of an instrument (how to hold a pick naturally, angle of attack, etc) develop strength with a steel string.

I've found it's easier to teach those kids who have learned on acoustic (be it classic or steel string) how to connect notes, dampen unusued strings, bend notes, and simply rock with lawless abandon on an electric with distortion, than trying to constantly fix bad habits with those who started right away on the electric.

You CAN start on the electric making sure kids don't get bad habits, but a six y.o. is not exactly a mountain of will-strength, detailed observation and listening, or self-motivation. Classic guitars provide the right amount of the kind of natural hurdles that make the player want to overcome them, and makes it perfectly doable. Not too easy, not too difficult. That doesn't mean she needs to learn classical music, just the "classic" instrument (nylon-string acoustic).

kolbyt85 likes this.
  5. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

If she wants an electric - find one of those Hannah Montana things made by Washburn. I bought 2 at different garage sales for $25 each, and they are great (after you change the nut). 22.5 inch scale is easy to play.

kolbyt85 likes this.
  6. Jim Holloway

Jim Holloway Supporting Member

My six year old showing an interest, has been strumming my mandolin a lot lately but of course that's way to hard for him to fret. I've wondered if a uke might be a good option.

Jim

kolbyt85 likes this.
  7. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Fender Mustang.

8. eddie famine

eddie famine Member

I just got my daughter a Squire Mini Strat. $99.00 brand new. Had a used one for $69.00. Stays in tune, intonation is good. Can't go wrong.

kolbyt85 likes this.
  9. kolbyt85

she has seen the pink ones in guitar center.. ;) she likes those. i may go that route, easier on the fingers. i can just put really light strings on it.

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. eddie famine

eddie famine Member

Yeah, we got pink.

11. clcwarlock

clcwarlock Member

You really cant beat a Yamaha acoustic. My son is 8 and plays a half sized, perfect fit for him. Price is right also at around $140. When my son was younger (3) I got him a classical because I thought the strings would be easier on his fingers but when he got into lessons the neck was to wide for him so we got the Yamaha.

kolbyt85 likes this.
  12. A-Mags

A-Mags Supporting Member

Many pro's have admitted to learning on a ukelele! Sarah Mclachlan for one when she was little.

It's simpler to comprehend as it only has 4 strings and easier for small fingers.

kolbyt85 likes this.
  13. Jonny Hotnuts

Jonny Hotnuts Member

A few months ago I got my 5yo son a 1959 Fender Duo Sonic.

Great little guitars.

~JH

kolbyt85 likes this.
  14. adamajah

adamajah Supporting Member

A ukulele would be great, or a Loog ... also this 6 yr old playing a mini ibanez is adorable.

kolbyt85 likes this.
  15. Beto

Beto Supporting Member

If she really gets serious and wants an electric with a rocker/metal vibe (or if she is a Jack Sparrow fan ;)):

kolbyt85 likes this.