• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Best Guitar Stores in Chicago?

Kelsey

I'll be in Chicago for a meeting and hope to spend a little time at one or two guitar shops. Which ones near downtown would you recommend visiting?

Thanks!

EJW

Yeah, I got to play a $40K vintage D'Angelico at Chicago Music Exchange! Crazy!

Robertito

I'd heard enough about the attitude at Make'N'Music to not want to go there, but stopped by in December to try out an amp, and the staff couldn't have been nicer or more humble. Very nice experience, and fabulous selection!

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
I'd heard enough about the attitude at Make'N'Music to not want to go there, but stopped by in December to try out an amp, and the staff couldn't have been nicer or more humble. Very nice experience, and fabulous selection!
Same. I was there a month ago, and Teddy couldn't have been more acommodating. Even remembered that I bought a guitar from his site a few years ago. Juicy selection! (but mostly for new pieces....CME for vintage stuff)

sleepingtiger

Gold Supporting Member
No attitude at CME????
I'm sorry, but I've had nothing but in the past 12 years or so. Make'N has always been cool.

Tony

KazJY

+1 for CME. They were very gracious to me just a few weekends ago. When I bought a vintage Ricky there awhile back, they loaded me up with extras as well.

Guinness Lad

CME is ok, lots of Jibsons and Fenders.

Make N Music is where you go for the cool stuff. You need to know the guys, once you do it's all good. I think a lot of the time they have internet and long distance stuff going so they might be preoccupied.

rcl

Maken has the stuff. Got my Collings and Modena there. I could easily lose a day in that place. So much high end gear and all the pedals you read about on the forums.

The down side is...they have all that stuff...and that makes it a little too tempting to take home!

Roodyrocker

In January I was in Chicago and visited Maken Music while there. Very cool place with no junk. Everything is top of the line stuff. The staff was very nice to me and let me try out anything I wanted from pedals to Charvel guitars and Bogner amps. I'm not from Chicago but I'd recommend them just based on how helpful and curteous they were.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
No attitude at CME????
I'm sorry, but I've had nothing but in the past 12 years or so. Make'N has always been cool.

Tony
I totally agree. I got ripped off badly by Scott, who I think is the owner, about ten years ago. He completely misrepresented a guitar I bought from him. What a slimeball. I'd never buy anything from him again.

sleepingtiger

Gold Supporting Member
I totally agree. I got ripped off badly by Scott, who I think is the owner, about ten years ago. He completely misrepresented a guitar I bought from him. What a slimeball. I'd never buy anything from him again.

Tony

Chuck King

...but if you're just looking around, by all means take a stroll through the showroom. Lots of cool stuff to play.

Fixxxer

Guys CME is not that bad, and one of the few places that has a KILLER selction of Gibsons. The staff like any place is hit or miss, but they have the biggest collection in Chicago.

That being said, Maken is nice. Has allot of brands I would never consider buying guitar wise, but they have a selection. The pain in the ass about that place is the dude that spends all day in the room playing the same riff over and over and high fiving etc for 3 hours making everyone wait outside.

Both are nice places, and I would visit the chicago guitar center as well. Nice big selction better than the other guitar centers in IL.

dumbell78

Maken is my fav by far! I ordered my Suhrs through them and they are always great to deal with. As an added bonus Tim Schroeder is right next door, so you have a killer luthier/tech guy right there for you.

Trending Topics