best guitar tech in nashville?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Grizz_Lee, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Grizz_Lee

Grizz_Lee Member

I have an American Deluxe Tele that has been my main guitar for about 7-8 years. As you can imagine it has been used, not abused, but it's had a fair share of "accidents" and last week it saw a 3 or 4 foot drop straight to the floor...don't ask :bkw

Anyway, I just put new strings on and set up the intonation and everything, but my B string keeps going flat very easily and quickly. It's never done this, and there's a few other things i need to get done to it.

So, who are some outstanding techs in Nashville? Also, being my main guitar for a while now and will probably stay that way for a while, is it worth it to look into the whole plek thing? i don't know much about it, just read little things here and there...

Thanks guys!

2. M40A1

M40A1 Member

Dunno, Glaser maybe?

Joe Glaser Instruments
    Authorized Retrofitter for all Instruments - Acoustic and Electric
    Joe Glaser
    434 East Iris Drive
    Nashville, TN 37203
    615 298 1139

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  3. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

Glaser is the man around here. Just about everyone has used him at one time or another.

4. jaxn slim

jaxn slim Member

Yep Glaser is great.

I also use Gary Gilbert of King Bee Guitars because he tends to be quicker and less expensive. But he's a little bit south of town.

5. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

Glaser is THE man, but is obviously in very high demand. I used to go to Greg at Classic Axe, if he's still around. He used to be just off the Row, and I think he did pick up and drop off at Cotten Music on 21st. Always did top notch work for me.

http://www.classicax.com/

6. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

Corner music and Rock Block Guitars both do good work as well.

7. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Well, there's thirteen hundred and fifty two
    Guitar techs in Nashville

8. doc

doc Member

Big Joe's Guitarworks is also good.

9. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

10. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

[​IMG]

11. lkft

lkft Member

12. TravisE

TravisE Member

Greg Voros or Lin Crowson at Gruhn Guitars. Both do exceptional work at reasonable prices.

13. Faded

Faded Member

Beat me to it, Greg is excellent. I would recommend his work (and turnaround time) over Glaser or anyone else in town.

14. Adamclayton

Adamclayton Member

Glazer has fixed my Taylor that cracked down the middle and its flawless work at a SUPER good price. Didnt have to wait but a week and that kinda work takes a week at least. Even the guys at Taylor guitars said Joe Glazer was the best.

15. TravisE

TravisE Member

Agreed. A friend who recently used Glaser said it took 2 or 3 weeks to get his tele back from a refret and Glaser didn't do the work. I've had Greg do TONS of work for me. He's one of the best in the country. He's refretted a '51 Esquire for me as well as LOTS of other work.

16. ugacrow

ugacrow Member

Greg does brilliant work, explains what he's doing to novices like me well, gives reasonable turnaround time estimates, and (in my experience) has always delivered on-time or early.

17. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Member

18. lcs101

lcs101 Member

Anybody ever used Fanny's in East Nashville for setup or other guitar tech stuff??

19. throbert

throbert Member

Sorry but I had a less than satisfactory experience also with Glaser on a PLEK job. I'm sure he's capable of good work but I didn't see it.

20. E-Rock74

E-Rock74 Member

Dan Blom is one of the finest guitar restoration experts and technicians in the US:

http://blomguitars.com/index.html

Dan used to work side-by-side with Glaser and was the repair shop foreman at Gruhn's in the early '90s before going independent. Equally adept with acoustics (especially vintage) and electrics, his work is world-class and truly second-to-none (see the Roy Acuff collection). Dan pays incredible attention to the smallest details and possesses a deep respect for the original design and integrity of every instrument he works on. In short, he truly cares.

He's also one of the most decent, approachable, and honest guys around.

I used to live in Nashville and continue to send my guitars to him...despite the fact I now live 500+ miles away. Yes, he's that good! :aok