Best Guitar Tech in Scottsdale, AZ Area

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mikeshoe, Apr 5, 2008.

1. mikeshoe

mikeshoe Member

Just like it says, lookin for the best tech around here to get my strat setup. Any help would be huge, thanks.

2. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Chuck Cellino at the Guitar Gallery. Dude knows his stuff. He worked for Fender for a few years and is certified. For Martin and Fender. THe best Martin I eer heard was when he set up and repaired my brothers Martin. You will be in good hands and he is reasonably priced. The gutiar Gallery carries Fender, Suhr, & Reverend guitars.

3. teleman1

Tell him Howard sent you! Scottsdale & Shea

4. mikeshoe

mikeshoe Member

Awesome man! I owe you one :BEER Right down the street from my house. Just curious what's the usual turnaround for a setup?

5. teleman1

He is there all day for 3 -4 days a week. If you time it right, it could be ready the next day.

6. mikeshoe

mikeshoe Member

Awesome thanks a million

7. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Whatever happened to Richard Beck? Is he still out there? I'd heard he developed an attitude, but back in the '80s he was the guy to go to. He worked on several of my guitars and always did top notch work.

8. teleman1

He was the guy in the 80's. I had some displeasure with him on a repair as well as a few friends. He has rock star prices.

9. Noah

Noah Member

Richard Beck...wow, I remember hearing that name way too many times. He was like the most hated guy around for awhile. I actually never dealt with him, but I heard from almost every guitarist I knew he treated his customers like sh#t.

Speaking of Guitar Gallery in Scottsdale, Does anyone know a guy named Jay Kelly that was working there?

10. voodoochile

voodoochile Supporting Member

There is guy in the phoenix area by the name of Billy O'Reilly. He has set up most of my guitars and does amazing work. He used to be the tech for Michael Schencker back in the day. Cool guy, cool stories, good prices. If you want his number, just PM me.

11. James Knox

James Knox Member

+1 on Billy O'Reilly

12. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

If you wander down to Tucson, Garry Knight has built himself a great reputation. He did a great job on my Heritage Sweet 16.

http://catalinaguitars.com/

I gots to check out the Scottsdale Guitar Gallery on my next trip to PHX.

:BEER

13. jbpenne

jbpenne Member

14. SpaceOddity

SpaceOddity Member

Jay is actually back at the store now, teaching on Saturday.

I know this is biased cause I work there, but I brought my guitars to Chuck before I had the job, still do and I'm always pleased with my setups.

Sorry, I didn't see how old this topic was, I got curious and searched the store I work at.

15. Groberts

Groberts Silver Supporting Member

+1. Garry built a gorgeous Tele with Quilt maple top for a friend of mine here in Tucson. Stunning work. Very competent.

I also use the techs at Rainbow. Richie does a great set up and he's a mind blowing guitarist too. I mean MIND blowing.

16. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

All the years of treating his customers badly (something I personally experienced) finally caught up to him. His shop closed a while back and I heard he's doing work out of his house now.

In the last couple years I found Dennis at the Guitar Electronics repair shop. Every time I take a guitar to him for a setup it comes back absolutely flawless. I used to think fret buzz was a natural part of having action as low as I like it. Dennis showed me the light. Not only do the guitars play perfectly, but I swear they actually sound better.

17. dukew

dukew Supporting Member

Superstition Mountain with Robert in the Bar
    Perry at Milano's Music in Mesa is very good. Have a '72 LP Custom that had the fretless wonder frets and he refretted it perfectly. Also did some electronic work as well. He's very good.

18. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

Dennis is a great guy, he took care of warranty issues on two Mexican Fenders I had, both were done well. He used to work for Paul who had the small Bizarre Guitar shop years ago (and has a store in Cave Creek now). I'd trust him for anything.

Al

19. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

And as for Richard Beck, I had to deal with him a couple of times, both times he was a prick. Good riddance.

Al

20. tastylicks

tastylicks Supporting Member

I can also recommend this shop. He does great work on amps as well.