Best guitar you got for under $750 (new or used)?

As someone of a certain age, these sort of questions don't quite have the same significance. I have never spent over $750 on a guitar.

But the answer would be:
Martin O18 -was probably $650 mid eighties and we'll seasoned in Chuck's lit wall displays. Turned out to be quite NOS.

Ibanez Rocket Roll II set neck $225 including tax and strap. Thankfully when Dipinto was on Market Street they were too busy hanging with Sonic Youth and let this "uncool" guitar get away. Early 80s model purchased used later 90s.

I already posted earlier for another great guitar, but had to come back for more examples. I picked up a dead mint Paul Reed Smith SE Bernie Marsden signature singlecut with hard case, which was already sporting loads of upgrades: Seymour Duncan Antiquity PAF's, new 3 way toggle switch, new wiring harness and pots, Schaller strap locks and Locking tuners... all for only $400 cash! All I added was a new PRS nut from a 513 and the wrap around TonePros Bridge.

Seriously plays and sounds as good as my PRS CE22 or McCarty 58! SE's are such killer mod platforms.

DSC01001.jpg

Found this 80s Kramer Nightswan at GC for $450. It took a lot of work to make it playable, but I was able to flip it for quite a bit more than I paid.
Weirdly enough, I picked up a USA Peavey Wolfgang a week later at the same GC for about the same price and was able to flip it as well.

Here’s to all the cheapie but goodie guitars that punch way above their price class.

Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster
Cort MBM-1 Matthew Bellamy signature
Epiphone Les Paul Special (2021 model, anyway)
2019 MiM Fender Player Tele bought new in 2020 for 699.99. I don’t really get that punching analogy though. Doesn’t transfer that well from boxing to guitars.

18E68EF5-6548-4659-B0AA-86E18B4FAF1F.jpeg

Here’s to all the cheapie but goodie guitars that punch way above their price class.

Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster
Cort MBM-1 Matthew Bellamy signature
Epiphone Les Paul Special (2021 model, anyway)

It's a toss up really between:
Squier Jaguar
Squier Jazz Bass
Squier 50s P bass
Epiphone Les Paul

The P bass is the latest find. Got it used for $350.

Best quality for the money guitar I ever bought was a used Ampeg AMG-1 for $300 with some dings. What a stupidly well made guitar, and still the cheapest I own (admittedly nicer than my $350 Ibby semi hollow and Fender Duo Sonic).

Most important: $450 TexMex Strat because it was my 1st guitar. With inflation from 1996 it’s over $750 though.

My #1 was just $650…but in 2000, so again, inflation. Gibson SG Special.

In late 2004 I bought 1984 Gibson Explorer off eBay for $600. It is still excellent.

Late last year, I bought a brand new EVH Wolfgang Standard for $764.74 after tax. It is also excellent.

Fender Player Lead III - 650 bucks, including shipping and a gig bag
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele - 330 bucks for it, plus a really good new gig bag.
86' Ibanez Roadstar RG110 - 400 bucks with a hard case

All three of those guitars were absolutely amazing. The Ibanez was the most surprisingly fantastic, as I just happened to see it while looking for a guitar to demo an amp with. Talk about unexpected. I was totally knocked out by it.

Yamaha Revstar RSS20 is the business, truly enjoying this guitar, was enjoying her a lot, currently in for new strings and a set up. so will have her back in a week or so. from the few days and honeymoon period, very very impressed with the alnico 5 pick ups, the focus control i havent explored much or gotten used to yet. SS Frets, chambered body very resonant, and carbon re enforced neck, less i have to worry about humidity when travelling to my lessons. I had nothing in this price range, and was dragging my $2000 plus guitars to lessons.

but a great purchase new in the $750-775 range i got it at.

tempImage2gLvqs.jpg

Top Bottom