• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Best Guitarist

ballbuffer

the best guitarist in the world is which of these? please vote/rate based on tone, feel, phrasing, licks, speed, proficiency, originality, tone, chops, career, gear, time, bounce, swing, ability, and empathy.

Drifting

I don't mean to poop on your thread, and this is REALLY cliche, but I don't think you can 'pin down' a best guitarist.

Maybe at technical proficiency, but a guitarist as a whole is immeasurable. You cannot measure the weight of someone's tone. You can't measure the width of their creativity... and you can't measure their talent.

There are just TOO many :bong...

Django, Beck, Hendrix, EVH, Clapton, Green, Gibbons, Les Paul, Bloomfield, Blackmore, Dickey, Albert, Duane, Page, Gilmour, Kottke, Fahey, the list is endless.

Hultas

The only thing that matters to me is music. I don't care if it's someone who has played for a month or if it's someone who has played his whole life. If the music speaks to me, then that's all that matters. I remmember when I was a little kid and didn't play guitar, I didn't even think about whether there was any instruments in the music (like hip-hop, techno), I just listened for the sake of the music.
My favourite music is made by John Frusciante so I guess he gets my vote.

re-animator

I think there should be a sticky in this forum that says its me so we can just not worry about this anymore.

TwoTubMan

I've often wondered if these kind of threads appear on a daily basis over on The Cello Forum...

"Pablo Casals, bitches!!!"

diego

I am.

Sorry, can't take a "best" thread seriously. Maybe you could narrow it down a little.

Alister

Silver Supporting Member
In terms of "bounce" and "empathy" (and I'm very glad you provided clear criteria, cause most of these "best" "greatest" threads are, of course, abstract and puerile), wth winner again this year is:

Romeo Rose

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
We need a contest to settle this.

Worldwide Guitar Idol, or maybe Idle, as the real players might be too busy.

1--a sight reading contest, classical/folk/rock/jazz etc.
2--advanced finger technique with and without pick, tapping, slapping, using added hardware and unusual tunings, etc
3--shredding, of course, esp in bluegrass and jazz with a few violin exercises thrown in...no amp allowed
4--the other shredding with over the top distortion and volume
5--electronic manipulation with MIDI control and/or looping etc.
6--ability to 'sit-in' and jam or contribute to a group effort
7--write and produce a hit quality song and teach it to a band
8--crowd charisma and control of the stage situation
9--looking cool
10--show up on time for the gig...tough one for drummers and singers

Now who do you think might compete? who can judge? whew...didn't GP mag already do this?

brlfq

He was born in Russia about 1871. His name was Stephen Jimovitch Vaughan. He played in the new/old world style which upset the intelligentsia but moved the masses. There are no surviving recordings of his work but folks who heard him at the time said that he was the best EVER!

Last edited:

Trending Topics