Best Hairband Ever

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Probos, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

I wasn't a huge hairband guy back in the day but I'll admit I really enjoyed a handful of those bands. Wonder what your favorite, or who you thought was the best of that lot. For me it was Ratt. They had it all IMO -- the look, the songs, the riffs, the chops, a solid frontman and even with all the makeup, hairspray and costumes they had a sort of grittiness to their overall presentation. Anyway, what band was the best hairband of all time?

2. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

Though I was not a fan at the time either (I was into harder metal, NWOBHM, punk, Indie, Prog and jazz, etc) and I certainly wasn't a fan of this band at the time, but looking back my vote would go for Motley Crüe. I have actually gained quiet a bit a respect for Nikki Sixx's role in that band. He wrote 90% of the material and all of their best songs. While fully smacked to the gills. And I do like some of the albums now. Live Wire is a great song.

Mötley Crüe. Final answer.

Least favorite: oh so many. But I have a special hatred for anything Poison, Warrant or Slaughter. Ugh.

3. Bankston

Bankston Member

Van Halen.

Kiss and Van Halen were the templates that the glam bands of the 80s imitated.

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Van Halen started it, but I think Motley Crue personifies it, so Crue gets my vote.

5. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Oh man,, I have to go with VH. I'm a huge hairband guy and could post 100 bands I love but VH was the pinnacle for me...and I'm talking Van Halen, not Van Hagar. I do love Ratt also though. Warren was and is seriously underrated.

6. Porrig

Porrig Member

New York Dolls :p

7. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

Motley Crüe, Ratt, Poison, Winger.....ugh.....there isn't any 'best'

Should be 'least irritating hair band' ...least irritating would be Dokken

8. s2y

s2y Member

Three way tie between Ozzy, Ratt, and VH.

Motley Crue was decent, but Vince tended to stink it up live.

I realize Don Dokken also tended to be hit or miss live, George Lynch was one of the ultimate hair band era guitarists. His solos were cool and something about MTV made his solos that much cooler. Who hates a bitchin' solo on a wild custom guitar that was probably made just for that vid?!

9. Stike

Stike Member

Steel Panther, they're better than all the bands they make fun of.

I won't consider Van Halen a hair band, they might have been the main catalyst but they weren't following a trend which is what the main hair bands that came later were doing.

10. Guitarfool

Guitarfool Supporting Member

Van Halen was a 'hair band"?.. Holy shyt this place makes me laugh :roll

The term hair band came up in the mid 90s or so after the grunge movement started. The guitar players of that era were fantastic and just wrote some killer riffs and solos, there was good and bad in that genre (just like all genres)

Warrant gets labeled as well and lumped in as terrible (Cherry Pie will do that for a career) , but they actually had some very good 'musical moments' and this song was 1 of them, yea this is a great rock song and i say that loudly

:aok

11. critter74

Yeah guys Van Halen wasn't a hair metal band.

12. critter74

The term "Hair Metal" did not come about in the 90's. It was very well used, by some bands themselves, in the 80's.

13. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

No. Hair bands are from the 80s and named that way because of the crazy things they did to their hair.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hair+band

"The word is used to describe a band That plays a genere of music commonly known 'hair metal'. the music was well known in the 80's, and characterized by: all of the band members having extremely long hair, usually high pitched male vocals, and heavy, piercing, distorted guitars. some examples of bands include; "dokken", "firehouse", and "white lion"

And Van Halen did start the genre.

[​IMG]

14. Smacky the Frog

Smacky the Frog Silver Supporting Member

Ratt for me as well. Thought they were terrible the two times I saw them though (Bon Jovi blew them away as an opener and I'm not a Bon Jovi fan).

Still, Warren DeMartini was my guitar god back then, still one of my favorites. To me his most underrated solos were on the Point Break soundtrack, the song "Nobody Rides for Free". Killer, absolutely killer.

15. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

It's a no brainer.

[​IMG]

16. Bankston

Bankston Member

Van Halen was the first L.A. sunset strip band to mix heavy metal riffs with pop hooks about girls and partying and virtuoso guitar playing and a glam look. They absolutely were "glam metal." In fact, you could argue they invented the sub-genre that finds its roots in the New York Dolls and Kiss.

Ozzy, Scorpions, Priest, etc. were all established acts that played the glam game to stay relevant. Big difference.

17. Mark Ray

Mark Ray We're Jammin' Gold Supporting Member

Not saying they were the best, but not mentioned too often:

18. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

Dude, that's Motley Crue.

I don't consider VH hair metal either, although I will concede that DLR all by himself really set the tone. My favorite bands would be Ratt, Dokken, and Rough Cutt.

19. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I know who it is. I posted it to show the guy who said hair bands are from the 90s why they were named hair bands.

We can debate all day whether Van Halen qualifies, but I'm pretty sure without them, music in the 80s would have been a lot different. Rock to me is divided into pre and post Van Halen.

20. Hap Hazzard

Hap Hazzard Member

Taps' best days were clearly behind them by the time the hair metal era was in full swing, but Derek Smalls had the best moustache in rock and his playing was cited by Jaco, Sheehan and others as hugely influential.