Best hand re-wiring of a DRRI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Blues-rocker, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Blues-rocker

Blues-rocker Member

So I recently got a used Deluxe Reverb Reissue off of ebay ($650 including S&H, footswitch and cover, and the only problem with it is that the light is burning out). I'd like to get it hand-wired, so now I'm starting my homework for who I want to do it, even though it'll probably be a while until I have it done. I know of it being done by Torres Engineering, Fargen, and Stu-Daddy amps, and I was wondering what other folks I should be considering, and/or who does the best job, etc. What are the opinions?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

nice TGP topic here....

"my bulb is burning out.... time for a complete handwired overhaul!!"

just pulling your leg, my man. Thus far I've heard people speak highly of the fargen mods and endless warning about the Torres Mods.

it might be cheaper/easier to just order a preassembled DR clone from Nik at Ceriatone and mount it in the DR cab.... then you can also probably sell the original chassis to earn some of that cash back.

3. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Somewhere on the web is somebody's DR rewiring project, complete with pics.
    It didn't look like a quickie, IIRC.

4. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

Check out Hoffman Amps fourm. He makes boards and has a whole following of techies that can advise you.

5. Blues-rocker

Blues-rocker Member

:jo:rollThat wasn't what I meant!
    But, yeah I have considered having someone build the amp/chassis clone and installing it like that. Also, I noticed that the Fargen mod does a bit more to the amp than I'd like done, but I'm guessing they may be flexible... I'm mainly trying to find the best option for the best price, at this point. Also, I don't see an actual Deluxe Reverb clone listed at on the Ceriatone site, but I'm assuming he does he them on request. Thanks for the advice, y'all.

6. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

This might be it:

http://deluxereverb.waynereno.com/

7. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

Btw, fellow TGPer PapaDave rewired his own DRRI last year & it turned out great. He's a wealth of information... and a heck of a nice guy. You might shoot him a pm if he doesn't chime in here.

8. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

a stock DRRI is already "hand wired"

9. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

The '57 Twin is, but the DRRI is PCB.

10. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

If the light is burning out, I don't think rebuilding it would fix that.
    The light is off of the pc board anways and wired directly to the PT.
    Have you tried a different brand of bulb?

11. Blues-rocker

Blues-rocker Member

...I wasn't wanting it rebuilt because of the bulb... ;) I was thinking more...tonal reasons. And I haven't tried a different brand of bulb.

12. adamzappa

adamzappa Member

I would just change all the coupling caps. Put Orange Drops for all the .022, .047 and .1s and put a Silver Mica 220pf for the treble cap. That will get you 90 percent of the way there for a fraction of the price. After that your output transformer and speaker will give you the biggest change in tone. You should rather get a silver panel DR and BF it. The solid pine cab sounds way better than the laminated wood cab on the reissues.

13. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I've done this on a DRRI and also replaced the transformers with Mercury Magnetics. I didn't try things in stages so I can't swear to it, but my gut tells me that the MM OT contributed mostly to the tonal improvement.

It's also a lot cheaper to do this than replace the board. Time = money.

14. frank62

frank62 Member

I have owned both originals of all varieties and new ones. Leave the amp as it is. Not that big a difference to a player. Collectors..yes. You will spend way too much getting very little in return. Spk changes will do you more good than an expensive hand wired mod.

15. hangten

hangten Member

Mike

Which MM transformers did you put in your deluxe? I just looked at their site and the choices were a tad confusing (I'm no tech)

thanks,
    Aram

16. riker4208

riker4208 Member

Complete waste of time.....change some caps and and the output tranny. Change the speaker, done. Just get a silverface if you want handwired.

17. stu42

stu42 Member

I know where you're coming from. I had a DRRI and was considering getting it rebuilt and handwired and looked at some of the same companies as you but a respected amp builder I know talked me out of it. After thinking about it I realized he was right. You'll spend a lot of money but I don't think it would be worth it. You'll never get your money out of it if you sold it.

If you want hand-wired check out, among others, a Clark Beaufort Reverb (www.clarkamps.com) which, if it's like his other stuff, would be a hand-wired faithful recreation of a Black Faced Deluxe Reverb - not to be confused with the Clark Beaufort (non-reverb) which is recreation of a Tweed Deluxe.

Or, buy a better speaker for it. You'll get a lot more bang for the buck without losing a lot of money on resale.

18. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I'm not sure, the customer supplied them.

The OT is the one that's likely to produce the biggest tonal enhancement.

19. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

The trannies you want from MM for a DRRI are:

OT
    FBFDR-O

PT
    FDR-PRI

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  20. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

Hayboer transformers are highly regarded as well -- and a bit less expensive than MMs.