Best Hardware to use with Protools 7

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by therigaletto, Jun 7, 2006.

1. therigaletto

therigaletto Member

Hey guys. Im using the older Mbox model to run my PT 7 but I need something with 8 inputs and better mic pre's. Im looking at the Digi 002 Rack and Console...is there anything better for LE based?

2. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I've learned this of late... the A/D converters in the Mbox and 002 Rack are something to be desired.

IMO, you would fair better by upgrading to a A/D (and maybe a D/A) converter. You're still going to need preamps, but if you want to take your recordings to the next level... the converter is the way to go.

I'm currently saving up for the Apogee Rosetta 200. If you want a pre/ A/D combo, the Apogee Mini-ME A/D is very cool... doesn't have as nice converters as the Rosetta, but a HUGE step-up from the 002 and Mbox ones.

3. therigaletto

therigaletto Member

im stupid....A/D converters???

4. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

No, you're not stupid. Analog to Digital converters (A/D), well... converts your analog signal to a digital one with various bitrates and sample rates of your choosing. Why is this important? A good A/D makes a huge difference in the quality and depth of the audio you're recording.

A nice mic preamp is great, but if you don't have a decent A/D, it kinda defeats the purpose of getting a great sounding mic preamp to begin with.

The Apogee stuff is great, but it comes at a price.

Let's say you stay with the Mbox (I have the same one BTW). Connect all your analog equipment to the A/D. You would use the SPDIF out from the A/D to connect to the Mbox's SPDIF in. Some mic preamps already have a SPDIF out (digital out that looks like an RCA connection) and decent A/Ds, but make sure they're good as stand-alone devices because your 'in' to PT is the Mbox or 002R via SPDIF.

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

No, those are pretty much it for LE. There are M-audio interfaces that work with a different version of ProTools. For those, you'd also have to buy the software upgrade separately, but it might be worth looking into.

FWIW I think the A/D converters in the 002 are already pretty damned good. If you didn't even know what A/D was until today, trust me when I tell you that you'd be wasting your money on a 2-track deluxe A/D converter... not to mention 2 channels of outboard preamps, which you would also need and which was not mentioned.

You want 8 tracks of input for PT LE: Digi 002.

6. elambo

elambo Member

I used the Rosetta200 with an 002 for quite a while and I loved it. The convertors are MUCH better than what's on the 002, which are already pretty good. But the Rosetta also acts as a new master clock for the 002, which makes the convertors in the 002 sound better, too. You can also use the Rosetta for the D/A (the opposite of A/D - it's converting the audio in the digital domain i.e. ProTools back into the analog domain. So it's pulling the sound out of ProTools and sending it to your speakers). So in a nutshell you'll get improvements in three major areas with this one box.

Keep something in mind if you're thinking about getting a Rosetta and using it for D/A - it will bypass the master and headphone volume knobs of the 002, so you'll need a separate volume knob, which is another $150 or so.

7. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Getting a good A/D converter is not a waste of money, and it makes a noticeable difference in your recordings. An A/D converter is not one of those pieces of equipment that you plug-in and struggle to hear the difference... you will hear the difference.

Have you A/B'd a good A/D converter vs. the ones in the 002R? I know people who have and I've heard the difference.

You can start off with a RME ADI-2 or get the Apogee Mini-ME, which comes with 2 channels of preamps.

Again, A/D converters are not a waste of money, BUT it also depends on what you're preferences and goals are. If you want to make decent recordings for basic demos, the 002R will do that in spades. However, if you want to take your recordings several levels upwards, then invest in a good A/D... doesn't have to be the flagship Apogee Rosetta 200.

So think about what you need and what your goals are for that will be the driving force of your decision.

8. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Wow. Well, I gotta admit you got me there...

I thought he said, "I need something with 8 inputs and better mic pres..." but hey, what does he know?

9. therigaletto

therigaletto Member

ha! good point but thanks for all the amazing advice! Does the 002 run on the same mic pres as the Mbox Focusrite (I have the old version of the Mbox) and then if you get new mic pre's would you have to bypass the 002 Mic pre's? Also are you saying that if I plug my analog signal say a vocal mic into the regular input of a 002, then it will be converting better into digital? Sorry about so many questions. I've never touched this topic before. Thanks!

10. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Hmmmm.... well you got me there!

I guess I went ahead and hijacked this thread... my apologies.

11. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

I've only used it once, but I was really impressed with the Presonus Digimax.

However, you need an 002 to use it.

IIRC, PT will NOT work without Digi hardware attached to it, I don't believe it'll use third-party hardware unless it's connected to Digi hardware.