Best Headphones for Studio Monitoring around $100

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by desceneisvals, Sep 18, 2008.

1. desceneisvals

desceneisvals Supporting Member

Looking for a set of good headphones to use for monitoring around $100 give or take. Don't have room for monitors right now as I'm a college student, but I figure I can get away with using some good/decent headphones.

Would prefer new, just because of the hygiene factor. But if there are some nice used ones in my price range I wouldn't be horribly opposed. If my price range is somehow way off, please feel free to point out my ignorance as well.

Thanks.

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I like the Fostex T50 close to that price.

3. mindseye

mindseye Member

I love my Sennheiser HD 280 pro's for 20-50 $'s more!

4. bchamorro

bchamorro Member

5. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

You have several viable choices in that price range. The Fostex T-20's & T-50's are the most comfortable, but rest on the ear as opposed to over the ear so they don't reject ambient sound as well and the bass response suffers a little bit...but for long sessions, it's worth it.

The AKG 240's have been the industry standard and they are still a decent choice although they're not the most comfortable and you have to make sure to buy the right version for your application (240DF for lower power/SPL applications and 240M for higher power/SPL applications). The Sennheiser HD280's have better bass response, but they tend to fit rather snug, which bothers me over long periods of time. The Sony 7506's are more comfortable but you have to step up to the 7509's to get better bass response.

My new favorite set of headphones are the Audio Technica ATH M-50's. They're $150 but they offer the best combination of comfort, noise rejection, and bass response that I've ever heard in the price range.

6. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I love them (HD 280's) for tracking but I don't like mixing with them at all. I use a set of Sony 7506's to check mixes but they are a bit bass heavy to me.

7. desceneisvals

desceneisvals Supporting Member

Thanks for all the good suggestions and info so far.

To clarify, it is important that these be good for mixing. Tracking isn't much the issue.

8. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Supporting Member

i use these and they're great headphones

9. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

im loving my grado sr-80s that i just got. havent tried a ton of others but i really really like these