Best Hendrix Wah Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by theactor19, May 24, 2011.

1. theactor19

theactor19 Senior Member

What do you think is the best hendrix style wah on the market available today other than the original that he used. A wah that is built and available today?

I'm currently using a Teese Picture Wah which I think does a good job, but could be a little closer to hendrix's wah. What do you guys think?:munch

2. bettset

bettset Member

send it back to teese.....explain the tone you'd like......he probably can get it as close as anyone :munch

3. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

4. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

...and just to think that I got the same model as a Craigslist add-on for another $10 as I was buying a Dunlop off a guy last year. Schweet. And mine is in better cosmetic condition than the $195 e-bay one here. They are massive tone suckers, which is why I never use it!

5. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

I go back and forthbetween a TB wah and a Thomas at every gig.Have been forever.If it is sucking tone then it isn't a bad thing.

6. Full Monty

Full Monty Member

He used so many, and broke so many, that finding something that matches that tone is a quest for a Holy Grail! And since the Wah was only one component and the rest of his gear isn't made the same anyway I'm not sure such a quest is a worthwhile one.

Anyway, when I'm out doing a Jimi these days I use a Morley Bad Horsie 2 with the Contour switched on. I have Budda in my gig bag just in case anything goes wrong.

7. jboyjams

jboyjams Member

The Killer Wah I got from KR Musical last year does a real good job - I was very surprised with it.

8. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

My favorite wah pedals are the Fulltone Clydes. They are both absolutely fantastic, and IMHO, can easily do the Hendrix thing quite well and more! I love the sweep, build quality, and tone.

9. charmboy

charmboy Member

Did you order it last year too or did you have to wait 2 years for it?

10. Keasley

Keasley Member

Or maybe, 'tone is in the feet' :)

11. charmboy

charmboy Member

I didn't mean to sound like such a troll on this comment. I've actually always been interested in the Killer Wah, but I'm scared to death of KR's customer service practices.

12. jboyjams

jboyjams Member

No problem - feel free to PM me.

13. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Wonder how long that will stay up for sale. Most are in the $30-$100 range.
    Let me know if it sells for that price,I would be forced to unload all of mine at that price and I don't sell my wah pedals. ;)

14. Mayo5

Mayo5 Member

I had a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe that was modified with a whipple inductor that nailed the hendrix tone.

Also Wilson Wahs are the best out there. I've been through alot of them, and I'm rocking his Vintage Spec 12 position wah.

Give him and his products some consideration.

Teese makes fantasic stuff as well.

15. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I got mine from a tech that modded it for true bypass. He made sure everything was perfect to. It's like a modern pedal in performance. I paid $250 for and it smokes everything I've tried or heard.

I guess I'm just a big sucker! HA HA HA HA HA HA

16. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

17. theactor19

theactor19 Senior Member

any other Jimi wah recommendations? Here are some of his best sounding wah clips:

Voodoo child - live at atlanta pop I believe
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBgyXXnbfBc

Hear my train a comin - Live at Filmore East.. scroll to 5:08 for the wah.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqd46nOtHlw

These are without a doubt the best sounding wahs... that amazing quack cannot be replicated on my Teese Wah imo. While it does get kinda close, its missing the sweet liquidy chunky-ness.. if that makes sense.

18. aboutdrill

aboutdrill Member

Check out the BYOC wah. I built one a couple months ago and I think its the best wah for Hendrix tones I have owned. It has a built in buffer so it works in front of a Fuzz face and it also has just the right amount of trimmers inside to tweak it. I have had most of the high end fuzz friendly Hendrix style wahs and the BYOC is the closest to my ears.

19. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

So much of that has to do with the rest of the rig.It really does,but I understand what you are trying to say. I use a Picture wah and also have and use several wahs from the same era as what we are hearing in these videos and recordings. I go to tell ya when you do here that sound coming out of your rig it is inspiring.Getting that sound on a regular basis is tough. That said Teese has tried to make it easier,instead of building 4 or 5 different Hendrix sounding vintage wahs,he gave us this..Picture wah circuit +.Might be something worth looking in to.

http://realmccoycustom.com/RMC8.htm

[​IMG]

20. Full Monty

Full Monty Member

:rotflmao

Or the calf muscles (according to Carlos!). I'm no purist, I just go with what works for me. If people want to spend good money chasing after a very specific wah-wah pedal sound then all power to them. I just think that most wah-wahs will give you a Jimi-esque sound but unless you're using all the other appropriate equipment you're not going to benefit imho.