Best higher end Les Paul case?

doc

Silver Supporting Member
I have a really nice Les Paul on the way. Its going to get to me in a TKL case, which is fine. I'm mulling over getting a better case for it at some point, probably carbon fiber. I'd like it to have a strap so you can sling it over your shoulder - I'm basically looking for a hard case I can treat like a gig bag/flight case. I'm aware of Calton and Hoffee, and there is Crossrock (a cheaper Asian version). In the past I would have been looking for a first gen Gibson Protector case, but there is always the problem of the latches not working well, probably not as tough as carbon fiber, and no strap. Optimally there is something out there similar to a Calton and of similar quality but at a lower price point, but if not I might eventually just order a Calton or Hoffee. Any advice?

Surfreak

Well, if you are getting a really nice Les Paul, I think you can't do better than this:
search

0018g

Calton will always offer the best protection, at the cost of weight and....cost.

They are a tough mother. As stated above, if you're not flying it's overkill.

sws1

Look on Ebay for an old Gibson Protector case. The one with the RED lining. They can be had for between $150 and $200 generally. This is what all the burst owners use to carry their guitars. Very compact, and solid as a rock. I've traveled transcontinental with mine. (Not checked) and use it for every gig.

doc_images-1105440214838.jpg

custom53

Look on Ebay for an old Gibson Protector case. The one with the RED lining. They can be had for between $150 and $200 generally. This is what all the burst owners use to carry their guitars. Very compact, and solid as a rock. I've traveled transcontinental with mine. (Not checked) and use it for every gig.

doc_images-1105440214838.jpg

I had one..^ It worked pretty good until the latches came apart.. I now use, for local gigs, a Gator Case.. Really nice case.. Not as Nice as my SKB i series but it does get the job done..

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...uct_id=GCLPS&gclid=CJXinf-3g9ECFUOewAod9C8L4g

crazyneddie

SKB makes a "soft case" for around $120. These are great cases, it looks like a gig bag but has hard protective panels and excellent shaped padding in the case. Neck support is awesome. It weighs very little, and rests nicely on the back with the shoulder straps.
I have one for my strat, it's fantastic. I plan on buying one for my R8. I wouldn't throw it off a building, but the case protects the guitar very well. It's snug as a bug in a rug in the case and even if someone steps on it the hard panels protect the guitar. Only drawback, not much extra room for anything.
Take a shot, send it back if you don't like it. I bet you will.

doc

Silver Supporting Member
I actually have one of those SKB soft cases - it is quite nice. I usually have an Agile in that one, but I'll probably use it for this one until I decide on something better.
I also have an old Protector case like sws1 mentioned, but two of the latches are wonky, and of course it doesn't have the straps I'd like. I've considered trying to rivet some D rings and a strap as well as some new latches onto it somehow. I've seen some replacement latches somewhere before, but not sure how well they work out. I've also considered having someone sew me a case cover with a strap for it out of Cordura.

modavis99

Silver Supporting Member
Hiscox is always my choice; light and very tough. The Pro II version of the one below has 'D' rings for shoulder straps. Calton cases are excellent but total overkill unless you plan on doing a lot of travelling. Don't know Hoffee.

http://www.hiscoxcases.com/electric-guitar-cases.htm#std-eg

Maybe it's a mistake, but I use a Hiscox case with my True Historic when I fly with it, which is not frequently. I've never had a problem but YMMV. I had trouble getting a case to the US but I ordered one from Absolute Music Co in the UK and it arrived within a week using international priority shipping and without problems. The cost including shipping was 162 GBP which is currently $200. Here is the link: https://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/hiscox-pro-ii-eg-electric-guitar-hard-shell-case.html

70 Mach 1

Silver Supporting Member
Plus one on the vintage protector case. Just make sure like Doc mentioned with the gen 1 cases that the plastic latches work. I dropped my 80 down a full flight of steel steps and it did hurt a thing or flip open on me. The gen 2 cases from I think 82 and up have steel latches and are just as sturdy

Digidog

I've been out on Calton's homepage, and those cases seem superb for flying and bus/van packing.

Does anyone have any info about where prices are on Calton cases? I know they're custom made, but where do prices start?

pattste

Silver Supporting Member
I've been out on Calton's homepage, and those cases seem superb for flying and bus/van packing.

Does anyone have any info about where prices are on Calton cases? I know they're custom made, but where do prices start?

The case for a Les Paul is $945.

I have a Calton for my acoustic. They are wonderful cases, as you would expect for the price. You can look into Hoffee cases as well (similar price and quality).

CaltonCaseGibsonNorthernJumbo_zpsx7pydyfq.jpg

Digidog

The case for a Les Paul is $945.

I have a Calton for my acoustic. They are wonderful cases, as you would expect for the price. You can look into Hoffee cases as well (similar price and quality).

CaltonCaseGibsonNorthernJumbo_zpsx7pydyfq.jpg

Thanks! Yeah, Calton's are expensive then. However: I think I have to count the quotes up since taxes, shipping and maybe customs fees have to be added because I live in Sweden. I also didn't see any info on European dealers or distributors, so my pessimistic estimation is that for me it will add up to the equivalent of more than $1100 - or thereabout.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom