Best Hollow and Semi-Hollow Bodies $500-$1000

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by IceTre, Nov 25, 2019.

1. msquared

msquared Supporting Member

Eastman is consistently great in this range. I have more or less settled on them as my go-to brand for anything semi/hollow unless I have a ridonkadonk amount of money to spend on something custom. My T486 gets played constantly.

If you can find a Reverend PA-1 used, they are absolutely fantastic and slightly superior in their niche to the Eastman guitars IMO.

derekd and Popashanky like this.
  2. ZENTISH

ZENTISH Member

Take a look on Sam Ash website and type in" Peerless Retromatic 131 ". They bought all remaining stock when production ceased and have been blowing them out for $529.00, original street price was about $900.00 I used a coupon and got one for $489.00 It is a beast!! Great tone and plays great after I had a tech (Neil Smith of lvguitars.com ) set it up and such for $85.00. I just can't put it down. They have 3 or 4 of these left, I bought mine about 3 months ago.

Good Luck! TISH

3. adauria

adauria Member

Gretsch Electromatics, as mentioned, are great in this range, particularly the 5xxx series. But Gretsch is definitely their own thing. I love the 5420 I have but it's not going to be the same thing as a hollowbody Gibson or a real jazz box, if that's what you are looking for. OTOH, Gretsch's own thing is really, really cool!!

I'm also a fan of the Ibanez Artstar series, having an AS-120 from way back when. It's a really nice take on a 335 semi-hollow. I've got it set up with higher action for slide, but it's very versatile all around.

Can't speak to Eastman guitars, but have heard nothing but good things. I'll say that my Eastman mandolin punches way above its weight class. Likewise with regard to Reverend - I love my solid body (Double Agent OG), but don't own a semi or hollow bodied one.

-Andrew

Waxhead likes this.
  4. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

Yamaha, Luna, Collins, Carvin, Schecter And Washburn.

5. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist

The supply of great guitars that fit your criteria is huge. Mine all happen to be built in South Korea, and all happened to cost the same!

I have a Newark series Guild Starfire II hollowbody that I love. Sweetwater "blem" deal for about $550

Gretsch Electromatic series. Mine are the G5420T hollowbody and G5622T semi hollow that are just awesome. Each cost $550

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

7. xrcdan

xrcdan Member

killer blues and derekd like this.
  8. indeedido

indeedido Supporting Member

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Gretsch 5120 or 5420 is what you seek.

9. Evandis

Evandis Member

I absolutely love my Epiphone Dot. Gets a lot of play time on gigs too.

10. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist

I also have an Eastman T486B, but it goes over your budget. Great guitar at any price.

[​IMG]

msquared, derekd and seantk like this.
  11. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

This is a Bootlegger semi-hollow and it is $549. Its made in Korea and is really high quality. That would be my pic for an inexpensive semihollow.

rauchman and Bob Maximus like this.
  12. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Member

The original Gretsch 5622T center block, with three pickups and cat eye holes, is my favorite semi hollow wide body guitar ever. I wish I could find a black or red one used for a decent price.

Tele Thinlines are also fantastic, and can be found used (or as Squiers/MIM Fenders) in that price range.

13. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    1 answer only
    Gretsch Electromatic 56 and 54 series guitars - all of em.
    Totally poo on all competition in this price range on all criteria :)

budglo58 likes this.
  14. Coopster

Coopster Member

Epiphone made an ES-335 model with small block inlays. I had one for a while and thought it was quite nice. All I did was put a Tusq nut on it and it came really close to the Gibson Studio that I bought shortly after. Only gave it up to fund other things (and because I had the Gibby). That being said, if you're patient and look hard, you can find a Studio 335 for around a grand, and they are wonderful as all of the Memphis made Gibson's tend to be. I regret not getting to the factory before they shut down as my parents live only a couple of hours away.

Unadan likes this.
  15. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

16. IceTre

IceTre Silver Supporting Member

Thanks folks, I'm loving all the suggestions. I should say that I played a Reverend at a music store, and thought the tone was fantastic, but it had huge frets that were painful to play. So giant frets are a show stopper for me. So are thin necks. Also I don't play jazz-- I'm not into the ultra mellow, treble-is-the-devil tone. I like a nice bell-like clean tone in the neck and middle positions, and good dirty slightly overdriven tone for both neck and bridge pickups. That might help narrow down the suggestions.

msquared likes this.
  17. Jaguar

Jaguar Member

In no particular order:
    1) Something Gretsch
    2) Something DOT
    3) Something Reverend

fescue likes this.
  18. toomanyamps

toomanyamps Member

If you are considering used then I would say a Gibson ES135, if only new then one of the Korean Gretsch Ekectromatics.

derekd likes this.
  19. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I have a couple that I LOVE.

2012 Gibson Midtown
    Bought it used from the emporium for around $825.

[​IMG]

Hamer Artist.
    $725 from Craigslist.
    This has a smaller body than most Semi-Hollows which works great for me because I'm not very tall.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  20. moPHOmo

moPHOmo Member

Epiphone Dot - I have one from about 2011 and with a great set-up it's my best player guitar, sounds great with heavy bottom 11s, wound 3rd (0.24 I think). You'll save some money for upgrades (nut, pots, etc) which many people do but I haven't gone there yet except for a great set up.

derekd likes this.