• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Best Humbucker for 335 style, expressive hollowbody

beachwail

I have a Cort TRG-2, sorta a 335/Gretsch knock off.

Body is 1 7/8" deep, 16" wide, maple with a spruce top. Set neck construction, bound rosewood fingerboard with 22 frets. Mighty Mite humbuckers, Tunamatic bridge, and a Bigbsy-licensed trem tailpiece.

The maple and spruce make this a bright sounding, very expressive
guitar. I love it, but I want to explore some other humbucker options.
I play mostly clean or light overdrive, anything from spanky country
to jazz/blues, funk, roots, etc. I don't like muddy or overly bassy
sounds. Expressive and dynamic is key.

What would you recommend, and why?
I'd like to stay under $200 for the pair.

Seth Lovers don't work for me, they squeal badly with overdrive.
They do sound great though :)

CitizenCain

I'd talk to Pete at Vintage Vibe and describe the tone you want. He'll get you a set of pickups for under $200 that will blow your socks off!

beachwail

bump.
Thanks for the recommendations, I looked into VVG, BG, and Zhang.

Not looking for P90's, really want a thicker tone for this axe...
and hum canceling :)

Anybody have experiences with SD '59 or other non-custom models?

shark_bite

Do you have a set of Lovers? Because I have a set of SD 59s in my Heritage and they're not for me. I'm actually starting to think that a 335-type in general is just not for me, as I keep grabbing a Strat or a Tele every time I feel like playing my guitar. But, I'd like to try a set of Lovers before I punt on the guitar.

karmadave

Gold Supporting Member
I'm partial to Lollar Low-wind Imperials, now installed in my ES-335. Great tones!

-KD

JimmyR

If you liked the Seth Lovers but found them microphonic then you would probably like the SD '59s. Very similar, but the '59s have a slightly thicker sound. You do lose a bit of that "open brightness" when you wax pot a pickup, but it does stop the sqealing. Gibson Burstbuckers may be worth a look too. A lot of guys take them out of their Gibsons to try boutiques so you may find some cheap on the emporium.

Seegs

I just got done looking for pups for my 1987 335 and putting a price tag on something severely limits the possibilities IME...not that there aren't good choices in the sub $200 range but the pups I liked best ended up being spendier ones...the cheaper ones I tried didn't measure up...I think it's better to save and widen the playing field...

during this process what I learned was that I didn't like any of the Alnico 2 pickups I tried...the Alnico 5 pups brought out the best characteristics in my 335...

Chow,
Seegs

Trending Topics