Best Humbucker for 335 style, expressive hollowbody

beachwail

I have a Cort TRG-2, sorta a 335/Gretsch knock off.

Body is 1 7/8" deep, 16" wide, maple with a spruce top. Set neck construction, bound rosewood fingerboard with 22 frets. Mighty Mite humbuckers, Tunamatic bridge, and a Bigbsy-licensed trem tailpiece.

The maple and spruce make this a bright sounding, very expressive
guitar. I love it, but I want to explore some other humbucker options.
I play mostly clean or light overdrive, anything from spanky country
to jazz/blues, funk, roots, etc. I don't like muddy or overly bassy
sounds. Expressive and dynamic is key.

What would you recommend, and why?
I'd like to stay under $200 for the pair.

Seth Lovers don't work for me, they squeal badly with overdrive.
They do sound great though :)

CitizenCain

I'd talk to Pete at Vintage Vibe and describe the tone you want. He'll get you a set of pickups for under $200 that will blow your socks off!

beachwail

bump.
Thanks for the recommendations, I looked into VVG, BG, and Zhang.

Not looking for P90's, really want a thicker tone for this axe...
and hum canceling :)

Anybody have experiences with SD '59 or other non-custom models?

shark_bite

Do you have a set of Lovers? Because I have a set of SD 59s in my Heritage and they're not for me. I'm actually starting to think that a 335-type in general is just not for me, as I keep grabbing a Strat or a Tele every time I feel like playing my guitar. But, I'd like to try a set of Lovers before I punt on the guitar.

karmadave

Gold Supporting Member
I'm partial to Lollar Low-wind Imperials, now installed in my ES-335. Great tones!

-KD

JimmyR

If you liked the Seth Lovers but found them microphonic then you would probably like the SD '59s. Very similar, but the '59s have a slightly thicker sound. You do lose a bit of that "open brightness" when you wax pot a pickup, but it does stop the sqealing. Gibson Burstbuckers may be worth a look too. A lot of guys take them out of their Gibsons to try boutiques so you may find some cheap on the emporium.

Seegs

I just got done looking for pups for my 1987 335 and putting a price tag on something severely limits the possibilities IME...not that there aren't good choices in the sub $200 range but the pups I liked best ended up being spendier ones...the cheaper ones I tried didn't measure up...I think it's better to save and widen the playing field...

during this process what I learned was that I didn't like any of the Alnico 2 pickups I tried...the Alnico 5 pups brought out the best characteristics in my 335...

Chow,
Seegs

Trending Topics

Top Bottom