Best Humbucker for strat (bridge)?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by WildTop, Jun 7, 2006.

1. WildTop

WildTop Member

I'm about to order a prewired HSS pickguard for a partstocastar and I was wondering about the following options:

- Suhr (don't really know the difference between his models)
    - Fralin Unbucker
    - lollar Imperial

Any expirience with those on a Strat type guitar?

Thanks in advance!

2. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

Seymour Duncan '78 EVH custom shop humbucker.... Listen to the first four Van Halen albums... that's why.

3. Alejandro

Alejandro Supporting Member

Take a look to the Dimarzio Virtual Paf. I like it a lot and do not overpower the singles PU's. Pretty similar sound with the Duncan PU recommendation of TwoGez

4. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

P.S. The V-PAF also splits VERY well
    If you wire your switch so the bridge coil closest to the neck is active in combo with the middle (opposite wind), you will get a superb quack tone!

HJ

5. TIG

TIG Member

I have a unbucker in my Grosh Retro classic...LOVE IT

6. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

If those were the 3 choices, I'd probably go with Suhr. Never tried one, and I'm curious. LOL. The Fralin gets good reviews, but it's not voiced like a normal bucker correct?

7. WildTop

WildTop Member

I think so... the Unbucker also has a down side because it has a small amount of noise... not a SC but a small amount.
    I wish I could hear it somewre...

BTW, why would you go with the suhr? and with one? he has a lot of HB models...

8. big mike

I'm a sucker for the reviews I guess. I know James Tyler is using them quite a bit as well. I'm not sure which one. Depends on the wood in the strat I guess. Something a little fuller for an ash body, something with a bit more mid spike in a Alder body.

Maybe email Suhr for a suggestion?

BTW I'm using a Duncan Custom in my Superstrat, but it's a Mahogany/maple body with a floyd so it's not 'really' a strat.

9. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

The Suhr SSV with a chrome cover is a wonderful bridge pickup in a Strat. Really sounds Les Paul-like in that position. Genuine PAF tones if that is what you are looking for-----not too bright, but nice and clear. Warm but not muddy or dull. Nice output and it works extremely well with his single coil pickups.

10. Alejandro

Alejandro Supporting Member

Interesting....intersting..adding to cart 1 split switch :hiP

11. big mike

Okay, more reading on my part, I'd likely try the DSV+ humbucker. Vintage with an attitude sounds good to me, and I like buckers around 10-12K. This one lists at 10 K. But again, just my personal guess. I haven't tried any at this point, they're just intriguing to me.

12. Srini

Srini Guest

The covered SSV is indeed a wonderful pickup, but you may also want to consider HighOrder. I have been extremely happy with mine in my swamp ash strat in the brudge position, and I like it as much as the SSV. The downside is that its quite a wait for the HOs, but a fraction of the cost of the SSV.

Srini

13. SFW

SFW Member

I love the Duncan Custom Custom that's in my HSS strat at the moment.

14. WildTop

WildTop Member

Anyone heard one of Suhr's Humbuckers split mode?
    Do they split well?
    I'v heard that the Unbucker splits VERY well!

15. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Have you considered the Duncan JB? It has a high output and an alnico 5 bar magnet.

16. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

The Fralin Un-Bucker is Wound like an Old PAF. One coil is hotter than the other. This gives the Pickup a very vintage sound. Lots of "Harmonics and Air" But it does have some noise. I have this Pickup in a Strat and I can Switch it to a Single Coil. It does this better than any other Humbucker I have tried.
    But there is also nothing like a Tom Holmes 456 Strat Bridge Bucker. Just Fat Vintage Tone to die for!
    :YinYang

17. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

From my experience the JB needs a dark, warm sounding guitar around it or it will sound shrill. Great on LP's, not so good on Strats.

18. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

+1... in most instances I've found that alnico II's sound the best in strats with typical strat body woods (i.e., alder, ash)...

19. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

My buddy has a Rio Grande BBQ in his. It sounds killer. I've had a few in mine. WCR Crossroads, Duncan SH6 and presently a 1980 Gibson Dirty Fingers. The Duncan SH6 has the best tone for me of any I've tried.

20. TIG

TIG Member

The unbucker splits great..no real volume change..very little noise..2 me the pickup sits right between a PAF and a P-90 tone wise in the humbucker mode...perfect for me!!!!!!!!!!!!