Best humbucker sized p90s??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gushtone, Feb 8, 2008.

1. gushtone

gushtone Silver Supporting Member

Hey all,
    I thought I started a thread on this before but I could not find it. I am looking for some nasty vintage (read 50's/60's Gibson style) P90 tone to insert into a couple of HB guitars.
    What are your faves and why?
    What have you compared them to? (in true P90's as well as HB sized)
    Looking for lots of detail about tone, grit, grind, bite, bottom, sparkle, top, etc.
    Thanks!!!
    Peace...

2. rjaneshek

rjaneshek Member

I've tried the SD Phat Cat and didn't like it. It wasn't really very "Phat". I have heard really good things about Gibson's own P-94. I'm sure you'll get some other opinions.

3. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

A lot of people like the Fralin P-92.

4. FAC

FAC Member

I have three PhatCats in my Les Paul Custom (how's that for sss?). I think they sound great...NOT exactly like a P90, but great in their own right, kind of in between a P90 and a humbucker...they are phatter than a standard P90, in my opinion (I have a les paul DC with stock P90's for comparison). I have not tried any others.

5. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Tell me more about the P92's....I'm interested in dropping them into an Ibanez AM-205.

A buddy of mine had some Harmonic Design Z90's in an old Ibanez semihollow and raved about 'em...

Brian

6. erksin

erksin Member

The Z-90s don't sound exactly like a P-90 though - more like a high output cross between a P-90 and a Jazzmaster pickup. Way more full range freq wise than a standard P-90...

7. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

So, for the uninformed, how does this translate in terms of sonic differences?

Brian

8. Mike7

Mike7 Member

Best one I ever heard was an old Dimarzio, and I still have it.

9. erksin

erksin Member

In comparison to a P-90, the Z-90 has a lot more bottom and top end sparkle. Less prominent midrange, and less compression - more articulate and clear.

10. gushtone

gushtone Silver Supporting Member

Good feedbck folks, thanks. Okay, not which one sounds the most like a real P90?

11. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

I use the HD Z-90's, & will echo the above posts. They are definitely their own thing, but they sound fantastic.

I also use Tonerider Rebel 90's... Pretty much dead on P-90 tones for chump change. They are a little hotter than vintage wind 50's P-90s. Extremely well made & packaged, they're a great value.