Best Humbuckers for a Strat, Jimmy Herring tone ??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jazzmonkey007, Dec 15, 2009.

1. jazzmonkey007

jazzmonkey007 Member

Pretty simple, I'll never play like him, but might as well try for the tone. I saw on his website that he uses Duncan '59 reissue for his CS strat or at least that's what he was using for the Herring, Rogers and Sipe tour in 2007. I'm not a fan of SD pickups. So if anyone has used HB in a Strat for a fusion/rock/blues type of tone let me know what worked for you.

Thanks.

2. wspfan

wspfan Member

I have a SD set in my strat. I have a 59 and a JB in it. I love the tone I have. I play through a Ceriatone Overtone Special, similar to Jimmy's Fuch's OTS.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. coloradobenedic

coloradobenedic Member

Yup- '59s are actually probably your best bet, especially in a dual HB strat. Realistically though, I'd say more of his sound comes from the combination of his Fuchs and that big old Super Reverb than anything else... You push them as hard as he does using any pickups and you're bound to get some pretty singing' leads...

I might look into an HK TubeFactor also, as he's been known to use these for times when he can't be running his loud-as-sin dual amp setup...

4. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Jimmy uses a pair of Duncan 59's in his main Strat.

What do you have against Duncans??

5. coloradobenedic

coloradobenedic Member

Sorry though, I know you said you dislike Duncans. I hate it when people directly ignore the OP, but I caught myself...

How about some some Fralins? I've always heard good things about them- really any classically voiced LP style Humbucker...

6. jazzmonkey007

jazzmonkey007 Member

I don't like Duncans in general, I have nothing against them. Just a matter of taste. I've used Fralin, Bare Knuckles, Lollar and liked them. But the times where I used SD or Bardens just didn't do it for me...Matter of taste not judgement.

7. jazzmonkey007

jazzmonkey007 Member

Yeah that's really the ones I'm leaning towards. I had an offer for a pair of p92, but my strat has a lot of mids and highs and not that much bottom. So I'm afraid that the p92 would be too thin sounding and I would end up having a single coil type of tone. Thanks.

8. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Alright then, try a nice set of alnico 5 PAF clones...they should get you pretty close, like I said a set of 59's woud be it but any decent alnico 5 PAF should be in the ballpark...

9. man_mars

man_mars Member

How about the PRS Mccarty pickups. A lot of stuff he did was also on the PRS Cu22 and PRS HB both with Mccarty's (yes, even for the HB). They might get you close in a strat setup too

10. jazzmonkey007

jazzmonkey007 Member

I finally made a trade for some Fralins, hope they do the job !!! Thanks for all your inputs.