Best humbucking sized P90s?

ratkent

I've been searching for a P90 equipped guitar but now I think I've decided to equip my SG Standard with humbucking sized P90s.

Which ones should I consider?

Teleman

Silver Supporting Member
I really like the Duncan Phat Cats. I've got them in a Hamer Newport and alsop recently finished a parts tele that I put them in with great results.

Bonedance

Oh Lordy! Here we go! Best is so sunbective. There are so many variables and everyones ear is different in what they like to hear. That said, the Gibosn P-94's are about as good as it gets. For a different take on things, Harmonic Designs Z-90's are fantastic. Many players like Duncans Phat Cats. I've never had the pleasure, so I'll let someone else comment on those. Steve Kersting of SK Guitar Specialties winds a tasty one as does Dave Stephens of SD Pickups. His Kay Bar pickup is killer. On the budget end of things, Kent Armstrongs offerings seem to be well liked and the very inexpensive GFS Dream 90's have many converts. Lindy Fralin has one out that many players really dig.

tiptone

Gold Supporting Member
I saw Grady in Houston two months ago opening for the Black Crowes, Grady Johnson played 3 SGs (inlucing a double neck 6/12 string) and all of them had what looked like Gibson P94s. He sounded great!

Chiba

Platinum Supporting Member
Gibson P-94. There's a bunch of threads around with the same question, check for them with a search.

--chiba

Occam

Originally posted by Shemp
Rio Bastard and Fat Bastard.
I've had both of these and I'm very happy with them. I especially like having the bastard in the neck position with a humbucker in the bridge and I use the neck for my clean tones.