Best In Case Humidification

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by hdiddy, Feb 17, 2014.

1. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

Cleveland is freaking cold!! I have my acoustic in a case with some humidification and the top still cracked after being fixed WTF!!!
    Anyhow what would you recommend to take care of this!!
    Humidifiy in the case, I dont want something that I have to change every week!

2. JSeth

JSeth Member

Corvallis, Oregon... "Heart of the Valley"...
    No way around it, in my opinion; you're just going to have to pay attention to your guitars if you have low humidity issues...

They do make a few products that humidify, but I've heard more than a few horror stories about the "gel" (or whatever it is), leaking into the guitar... I wouldn't trust that stuff with any guitar I cared about, and I wouldn't be dealing with humidification if I didn't care about the guitar!

So, we're stuck with the "usual suspects"; a shallow dish w/ sponge in the neck/headstock area, and some sort of soundhole humidifer. I use the Planet Waves one; has a thin sponge and slips between the strings, hanging into the guitar. When it's dry, I re-moisten the sponge in the PW unit every 3 days; the headstock dish lasts more like 5 days to a week...

Getting a room humidifier would work well; that, along with a hygrometer to see the actual rH% might be the easiest way to go...

3. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

They used to make these packets called Zorb-It that worked fairly well. I'd get some more if they were still available.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  4. TheoDog

TheoDog Member

Oasis works well. If you insist on not monitoring at least weekly... Well, tough luck.

5. crambone

crambone Member

I am fortunate in that I live in an area where it's humid even in the wintertime. I never keep any of my guitars out of their cases but I also don't go out of my way to humidfy them.

6. stratofied

stratofied Member

A good room humidifier and an accurate Hygrometer is the best solution. Your home will be more comfortable and you can keep the guitar out which is important. When it's extremely cold you may still find it difficult to maintain humidity levels in your home or studio. Use a humidified case at those times.

7. TubeLuvr

TubeLuvr Member

Slightly off topic but not much.
    I haves used humidity beads for cigars. They are made of rigid porous material so they won't leak like gel or sponge. The ones I've used maintain the RH at 60 or 65%. You can check by looking at the color of the beads. If they dry out too fast just add more beads.
    Anyone tried them with guitars?

8. Curt

Curt Member

Humidipak by Planet Waves.
    There's nothing better....and nothing safer.

9. pszy22

pszy22 Member

I've been using beads for the past few years and have been very happy with the results. They can store alot of water without having to worry about dripping

[​IMG]

10. frquent flyer

frquent flyer Member

I like and use oasis .Daddario is giving away humidifiers in its three set boxes of strings.

11. clint

clint Member

If you have very low humidity, this is a tall order unless you can store your axe in a closet and use a room humidifier.
    The closest I've found to being low maintenance are the Humicases but you would need to buy a new case.
    Oasis are very effective and last longer than the sponge variety but will need to be checked weekly. I needed to install the Oasis by suspending it below the strings with a rubber band becasue it stuck up too far when the case was closed. It is a minor hassel to use the "rubber band" method but it seems to work.
    The sponge ones are cheaper and easier to use but dry out faster.
    No simple solutions.

12. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

I have a minor solution, I have a cedar closet that I put the humidifier in and the past 2 days have kept it about 45% with out much refilling of the humidifier, In the meant time will continue to use the Oasis

13. orogeny

orogeny Member

link?