best inductor and DPDT switch for a Vox Wah?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kito, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Kito

Kito Member

Hi guys, i've bought a used Vox V847 and I was thinking of making it true-bypass because I can notice some tone-sucking. As I need to order the DPDT via internet because here in Argentina there aren't good ones, I will also purchase a Halo replica inductor. I would like to know your opinions on ArielFX, Stuart Castledine (wah-wah.co.uk), and Banzai Effects ones, and also which switch is better (I was thinking of Carling).

Another mods i was thinking of were: Vocal mod, putting some BC109B transistor and trying with some capacitors and resistors of different values.

If you have any other suggestion to make my pedal better, it would be welcome.

Greetings from Argentina,
    Kito.

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

Carling 316-PP is the one you're looking for. They have it @ www.smallbearelec.com It's about $9 + shipping. I don't know about the Halo inductor. I'm waiting for Area 51 in Austin, TX. to get some more of their's in stock. Also buy a Hot Potz or a Fulltone Pot for it. I think both are available through Small Bear.

3. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah, I really like the tone of the 847, and haven't changed anything except the switch (well, I did slap in a Foxrox booster, but that's only because I use it in front of a fuzz).

I initially put in a really cheap chinese made DP/DT that has worked well for many of my DIY projects, but I stomped it to pieces in one set..

A wah switch sees a bit more action than your average pedal, so I'll second the recommendation for a good quality part like the Carling. I wouldn't be too hasty to replace the inductor, pot, circuit board, etc., till I'd played with it for a while..

4. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey guys,

I own 2 Area 51 wah pedals (circuitboards installed in refurbished Crybaby wah pedals) and a Vox V847 wah pedal. I installed a Carling 316PP DPDT switch on all of wah pedals and installed an Area 51 wah inductor on my Vox wah. My 2 Area 51 wah pedals have Dan's custom wah circuitboard which includes his custom wah inductor. Check out the wah pedal clips on his website.

I bought my parts either from Area 51 Audio Designs (www.area51.com ) or Small Bear Electronics (www.smallbearelectronics.com ). Dan from Area 51 and the guy from Small Bear Electronics are very good to deal with. I am enjoying my self installed Area 51 wah pedals much more than when they were a Dunlop Crybaby wah pedal. Better sounds, better tone and modern features to boot.

Guitar George

5. dosmun

dosmun Member

The Carlings have had a bad rep for the past few years. I don't think Teese uses them anymore.

6. Kito

Kito Member

Well, I think I can give Carlings a chance. But I'm still doubting about ArielFX, Banzai effects or Stuart Castledine's inductor, any opinions on this?

7. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

I got mine from Fulltone. The switch was a Carling and the inductor was of fulltone design to copy the specs of a vintage model. I was pleased with both...

8. eric-d

eric-d Member

I'm telling you, adding a TB switch (Carling) and a new pot (Fulltone) makes a HUGE difference!!!! I can't wait to see what the Area 51 inductor will do! It's actually a good sounding wah now. Once I get the inductor, I just need to convense the wife I need a Wah Probe and a Teese Picture wah... :AOK

9. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I've got an old Hendrix Wah that I decided to put away when all those Brit pop bands started using Wah over everything...will these mods help it also?
    The pot's dead anyway!