• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Best IR's for Strymon Iridium?

skiprehab

Hi!

I'd like to hear your opinions what are the best IR's for Strymon Iridium? I mostly use Punch "amp" and been looking for some York Audio IR's, mostly Greenback MRSH 412 M25 and EVH 5153 412 VH20 packs. Are there big difference on these sound wise?

These seems to be 96k and 500ms, I also looked Celestion's own IR's but didn't found any technical specs :dunno Are Celestion's own IR's better than York Audio ones?

I play mostly (hard) rock'n'roll and while I like Iridium's own cabs I'd like to try if there's some better :)

Any suggestions (also to other Iridium's "amps") are welcome.

ps. I'd also like to use these with CAB M+ with Marshall 2555 (with Suhr Reactive Load), will these work for that too?

LaXu

York Audio is a good starting point.

ML Sound Lab is another option, their IRs do tend to be darker sounding but you might like them if you mainly use higher gain sounds. The ML Sound Lab MIKKO software is great for rolling your own IR mixes but the cabs do cost a good chunk of money and they don't have any good Fender options.

I find Celestion's IRs, even the mixes are more "mix ready" where the sound is thinner so I don't find them as enjoyable to use.

skiprehab

York Audio is a good starting point.

ML Sound Lab is another option, their IRs do tend to be darker sounding but you might like them if you mainly use higher gain sounds. The ML Sound Lab MIKKO software is great for rolling your own IR mixes but the cabs do cost a good chunk of money and they don't have any good Fender options.

I find Celestion's IRs, even the mixes are more "mix ready" where the sound is thinner so I don't find them as enjoyable to use.
Thanks! Is ML Sound Lab a Finnish company (MIKKO software suggest that) ?

Leftyshep

I’ve tried quite a few different sources (all the usual names) but I’ve found that for my Iridium, music styles, and applications for recording, P/W, and just general jamming that York Audio is definitely the best sounding for me. All the way from clean-EOB-Classic rock.

C.D.F.M.E.

Hi! I've used Celestion, Ownhammer and currently York Audio. They are all good but with York I'm very happy. I've got the YA FDMN 412 M25-V30 for Punch, YA MTCH 212 ESD-V2 for Chime and YA VLUX 210 P10R for Round and I use the YA YORK 212 M65 as a general option for all amp models. They work for CAB M+ too, although for that I use Two Notes IR's. Certainly a "you can't go wrong" starting point with York. :)

Catch

Analog>Digital Converter
Platinum Supporting Member
I’ve not tried loading/managing the IRs in the Iridium—is it easy?

LaXu

I’ve not tried loading/managing the IRs in the Iridium—is it easy?
Very. Connect with USB, fire up the Strymon IR manager software, browse to a folder with IRs and drag and drop them to the slot you want. The IRs need to be 24-bit 96 KHz to work.

Catch

Analog>Digital Converter
Platinum Supporting Member
Very. Connect with USB, fire up the Strymon IR manager software, browse to a folder with IRs and drag and drop them to the slot you want. The IRs need to be 24-bit 96 KHz to work.
Thank you!

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
York are stellar. I have a bunch (bogner pack, matchless, Marshall, Mesa) and the bogner pack was by far my favorite, so much that I dropped them in my PT15 as well. They are super clear and full sounding, very articulate and just great.

John Mark Painter

Gold Supporting Member
What is “hard” rock to you?

I couldn’t delete Celestions fast enough.
As mentioned above, the ML have an exaggerated Djenter thing going on.
I bought a but was fighting them.

The York Friedman is very versatile and has the ‘scoop’ thing.
The m25 is excellent.
The Blackjack is more classic rock vibe,
I prefer V30, and really like the Bogner.
The Mesa 212 is my go-to

skiprehab

What is “hard” rock to you?

I couldn’t delete Celestions fast enough.
As mentioned above, the ML have an exaggerated Djenter thing going on.
I bought a but was fighting them.

The York Friedman is very versatile and has the ‘scoop’ thing.
The m25 is excellent.
The Blackjack is more classic rock vibe,
I prefer V30, and really like the Bogner.
The Mesa 212 is my go-to
I was thinking in the lines of Van Halen, Ratt, Hanoi Rocks, Def Leppard, AC/DC, G’N’R, Cheap Trick, Jason & The Scorchers... rock, but not AOR.

I mostly set up amp or pedals to nice overdrive and let different guitars with different pickups to change the overall gain structure. Kinda set and forget. Of course with Iridium’s different amp modes it’s a bit different and have more flexibility than playing through my Marshall Jubilee:)

John Mark Painter

Gold Supporting Member
I was thinking in the lines of Van Halen, Ratt, Hanoi Rocks, Def Leppard, AC/DC, G’N’R, Cheap Trick, Jason & The Scorchers... rock, but not AOR.

I mostly set up amp or pedals to nice overdrive and let different guitars with different pickups to change the overall gain structure. Kinda set and forget. Of course with Iridium’s different amp modes it’s a bit different and have more flexibility than playing through my Marshall Jubilee:)
Try the Blackjack first (I like mids)
Also get the $2 Mesa 212 (I use the full version) it has a clarity that I really like.

SushiPowPow

I use York Audio's for primarily hard rock inspired riffs. Think Mastodon, Crobot, SikTh, Shadows Fall, STP, Pearl Jam, Moon Tooth, etc. (I wish :rotflmao)

Mesa 2x12 V30
York Audio 2x12 M65
Orange 4x12 V30
Marshall 4x12 M25

They work with my pedalboard very well with all the amp models on the Iridium and can take my Whammy DT's down tunings all the way to a full octave.

I couldn't really expect more and am very happy to be amp less.

Last edited:

Junta

You already have one of the BEST IRs I have ever experienced stock in the Iridium - one of the Marshallesque ones from Vallhallir: https://valhallir.at/

It is available from Valhallir (I have no connections) as a pack: V2-JCM1980 with all kinds of different mic combinations; needless to say, I bought the pack....

Some might say it is a bit overwhelming - no matter what you put into it, you get delicious JCM 800 tones... Some kind of vodooo going on with the IR. Their 'teaser pack' is absolutely free! But beware: once you discover their IRs, you WILL spend a lot of money there:

Top Bottom