Best "Jack of all Trades" Combo amp wattage?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rooibos99, Jul 12, 2019.

1. rooibos99

rooibos99 Member

I'm looking for a new amp soon, two of the main contenders have been the tungsten crema wheat and the cutthroat audio Down Brownie. I don't really need cleans in a live situation per my playing style (If I did my Rivera M60 covers that ground nicely). I really like the footprint, look, and sound of both the brownface and tweed deluxe style amps but I'm wondering if they could really keep up with a loud band without PA support? I've got my own PA but don't always want to bring it out for gigs. My only tube amp has been my M60 and my tech says its outputting about 45 watts RMS. Really great for cleans and it gets LOUD. I love 1x12 so the Tungsten and Down Brownie seem right up my alley, but is 20 watts enough or will the amps be pushed to their absolute limits in a band situation?

2. forgivenman

forgivenman Member

Something with switchable wattage or power scaling

3. forgivenman

forgivenman Member

Joe Perry says 35w is the magic number

amphog likes this.
  4. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Where are you playing that you don't have PA support for your amp? In any case, I'm not familiar with an M60 but at 45 watts you should be able to use it in just about any situation. Grab a Zendrive, or other pedal of your choice and go!

The "jack of all trades" isn't a specific guitar or amp, it's the player. Make it happen.

If you just want a new amp that's understandable. We all need something new for inspiration once in a while but it isn't always a gear issue, it's often a search for motivation/inspiration.

rooibos99 likes this.
  5. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Vibrolux Reverb is always the answer to this.

Oriondk, jazzguitar14 and jnovac1 like this.
  6. 67super

67super Member

Times have changed, in my last 2 bands had full PA support and we always mic everything. Sounds systems today have gotten so good and affordable. All I was using when I quit my last band was a PR and with a good sound system it's all I needed.

7. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    The blues, soul, r&b circuit in Dallas still leans on old school 6-8 channel powered mixers and a good functioning knowledge of getting a good backline mix. Where you have to haul your own PA to 6 out of 7 gigs and the pay is the same BS $100-a-man as it was 15-20 years ago, this is actually a blessing in terms of minimal setup and teardown, not to mention it all fits in a smaller vehicle.

So for me, a good jack of all trades is a 50w head with good master volume (I use the Rich Mod II PPIMV on 3 different amps), and a choice of 1x12 or 2x12 cabs. No need for dirt pedals unless you're into them. Just roll the master back to 3:00 and crank it.

woof* likes this.
  8. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

40-50 watts.

20 watts won't cut it if you ever need clean headroom in a venue with no sound reinforcement.

LaXu likes this.
  9. Falsecrack

Falsecrack Supporting Member

30w is good for me.

10. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

It’s the answer to the ultimate question of wattage.

Stagger Lee, mabinogeon and theRagman like this.
  11. JK1965

JK1965 Silver Supporting Member

I have a Down Brownie. It all depends on the situation. How loud is the band in general? It’s a really loud amp and surprisingly so when you look at the size of it. People are always amazed at how huge it sounds. Mic’d up you will never have a problem. These amps love mics. Not going through the pa could be a problem if it’s a really loud band.
    Although I did a few songs with a band where the guitar player had a Peavey 6505 >4x12 and the little DB was hanging pretty damned well. They couldn’t believe how loud and clear it sounded. Really does cut very well.
    You certainly would be getting a great amp with that one.

12. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

13. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

I have never needed more that 15W ever with PA support.

So 20 clean watts is the max.

You can tweak loudness with speaker sensitivity, voicing and cabinet efficiency. And amp placement and direction.

Peppy and Daytona57 like this.
  14. Gemini2

Gemini2 Member

Depends on the amp. For example, a 30 watt Peavey is not as loud as a 30 watt Z or Bad Cat. So I say 30 to 50 watts.

15. phoenix

phoenix Gold Supporting Member

we are dealing with this at a charity I work for. 1 amp for broke musicians with a year or 2 of recovery time. ended up with a combo of the best fender years of reverb trem etc. in a 1x12. 40 watts. the tone doesnt change from 2-8 on the volume knob so its still bedroom friendly, but lets them get back on stage.

16. Tzirfigu

Tzirfigu Member

Attenuator with the amp of your choice. Magic.