Best jazz book???

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by TheSpiritOfRadio, Feb 20, 2012.

1. TheSpiritOfRadio

TheSpiritOfRadio Member

Hello world of TGP... I just had a question about jazz books... I've seen lots of books and heard a lot about them, but which one is best to you? I'm leaning towards getting either Jazzology by Robert Rawlins, Jazz Composition: Theory and Practice by Ted Pease (Berklee), or The Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine. Which one pf these is best? Is there an even better one than the three? It would be much appreciated if some would take the time to reply. Thanks :drool

-The_Spirit_Of_Radio

2. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

I would grab Hal Crook's "How to Improvise" and "How to Comp" or "Ready, Aim, Improvise" before those titles.

3. mondaythursday

mondaythursday Senior Member

I would definitely go with The Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine. But you can never have too many books about jazz and improvising.

4. harmonicator

harmonicator Member

I really got a lot out of Jody Fisher's 2 books...Mastering Jazz Improvisation and Mastering Chord Melody, both with CD's.

5. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Probably 'the best' is Thinking in Jazz by Paul Berliner. It's not a method book or improvisation guide but it does describe exactly how the real cats learned to play.