Best jazz box for under $1,000?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JJK, Feb 17, 2008.

1. JJK

JJK Member

I've been scouring the internet, eBay, and Guitar Center for a nice hollowbody under $1,000. So far I've narrowed it down to the the Epi Broadway and Epi Joe Pass. Are there any other hollowbodies out there for under $1,000 that would be better than these two? I've tried the AF105 Ibanez guitars and wasn't a big fan of those. I liked the Broadway better.

2. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Are the Peerless in that range?

3. PFCG

PFCG Member

4. djbinzo

djbinzo Member

Check your PM's-- I may have something for you.

5. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

6. philgerard

philgerard Member

A buddy of mine Geoff owns JB Klines Music in Lambertville, NJ and he has a Herb Ellis Model ARIA for $700 there. Now, I own a Gibson Johnny Smith, a Guild X-500 and an Epiphone Howard Roberts and this guitar stands up to any of them. It just has that special something. I doubt all of ARIA's H. E.'s sound this good. Actually i can't tell you because this is the only one I ever played but it's a keeper. So, even if you can't get down to NJ...if you see one play it! I was amazed!
    Phil

7. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

Ibanez af-105 with humbuckers. The best I tried at this price

8. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Peerless are in that range, but tough to find. I think they're only distributed in the UK now. My Peerless Wizard is not Jazz per se, but definitely impresses. Search youtube on "Peerless". There are several demos of their jazz models on there.

9. frank62

frank62 Member

10. arnie65

arnie65 Supporting Member

Peerless are now sold in the US, I just bought one from a dealer in California through the internet, look for Doc Dosco in the internet, he's the only dealer in the US right now. I purchased a "Monarch" model for $999.00 and it sounds even better than the clips I've heard on the internet, very much like a Gibson "Johny Smith" model I used to own, fantastic guitar!!!!

11. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

Check out Eastman's offerings, then go fishing on ebay for used one. All handcarved, solid woods. Very nice. As for the Epi's, you might consider holding out for an Epi Elitist Broadway http://www.epiphone.com/elitist/broadway.htm
    Made in Japan, not Korea. Better parts, better quality control. You should be able to find one used for about a grand. Both the Eastmans (I had an 805CE with floating pickup) and the Epi Elitists (a 335 is one my want list) are excellent instruments in that price range.

12. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Even they're over a grand now!
    Gretsch has a cool guitar. Single cut in a satin blonde. I played one and thought would be quite useable.

13. HMCMedic

HMCMedic Active Member

If you can find any of the Cort "Triggs" Guitars, you'll be very happy:)

14. BillyBob

BillyBob Member

I have a Joe Pass, it's a decent jazz box, especially considering how expensive a really good one is.

If you have some extra dough, I suggest checking out a Hoffner.

15. mdog114

mdog114 Member

I've got one of those I've been thinking about selling. I have 2 other HB and I never play this one, so I figured I sell it.

Let me know if you're interested, it's in great shape and I'd part with it for $700

16. Lammy

Lammy Member

Greco makes a 175 that can easily be had for under a grand on ebay. Mine sounds great.

17. BillyBob

BillyBob Member

I paid $600 for my Joe Pass a couple years ago, new with a case. Not sure what they are going for now.

18. Boogs

Boogs Member

I love my AF105 to bits, but it's probably true that you have to play them until you find one that is a nice sounding piece of wood. I got lucky with mine, but I played it's semi-hollow cousin (i.e. the top of the line Artcore semi) and it was absolutely dead...no personality.

19. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member