Best jazz humbucker?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JJK, Feb 24, 2008.

1. JJK

JJK Member

I just bought an Epi Zephyr Regent, single pickup jazz box. I am going to replace the pickup in it, and I was thinking either a 57 Classic or Seymour Duncan Alnico II. I'm also considering a Seth Lover. What would you consider the best and warmest jazz pickup for a hollowbody? Also, what tuners would go good with this guitar. The tuners on there are kinda flimsy, and standard tulip Epi tuners.

2. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    A Lollar Charlie Christian is a very pickup- Barney Kessel played a Charlie Christian Model as well.

Wes Mongomery played a Standard Gibson L5 with just a Humbucker neck pickup turned upside down, nothing on the bridge. He would roll the tone off all the way. He said I don't want anything special, that way if I drop my box I can borrow somebody else's and sound the same.

Enjoy The Music
    Groovey Records
    Listening to George Benson-White Rabbit

3. blue_lu

blue_lu Member

smart-ass-mode *on*
    would you please name one record where wes rolled off his tone all the way?!
    smart-ass-mode *off*

4. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Only what I read in interviews

You seem to know alot try answering the OP question.

Always Wise Never an Ass

""This page is about the guitars and amps that Wes Montgomery used throughout his career. He was not interested at all in guitar equipment, he saw his guitar as a tool to do the job.

Keep in mind that Wes Montgomery played with his thumb rather than with a guitar pick and this is a major characteristic in his guitar sound. He used the fleshy part of his thumb, not his nail, and played only down strokes for single note lines and up- and down strokes for chords. He once tried using a pick for some weeks, but it never produced the sound he liked, although it enabled him to play faster than with his thumb.

I included links to some online music stores for those products that are still available today. Make sure you compare prices, there can be a big difference.

Guitars

Gibson L5 CES

During his entire career Wes Montgomery played almost exclusively on a Gibson L5 (cutaway electric spanish) from 1963. He wasn't really interested in equipment. In his own words: 'I got a standard box. I don’t never want nothing special. Then if I drop my box, I can borrow somebody else’s.'

He played the L5 with the tone knob rolled off.

Gibson produced this guitar since 1922 and is still in production today. It was the favorite rhythm guitar in big bands. The L5 was the first Gibson guitar with f-holes.

Gibson made 2 custom guitars for Wes Montgomery, but they only had 2 differences compared to standard L5's: 1 pickup instead of 2, which was placed upside down.

Wes Montgomery used heavy gauge flat wound guitar strings.""

EnJoY ThE MuSiC
    Groovey Records

Listening to Jimmy & Wes - The Dynamic Duo
    Vinyl

5. blue_lu

blue_lu Member

"You seem to know alot try answering the OP question."

forgot about that...I would simply go for a high(er) quality low output paf style humbucker. the Classic 57 is a very nice choice for a jazzbox, i think.
    You read here alot about people getting their new gibson custom shops, stating that the stock pu suck - don't fall for that, these pu's are just fine.

I myself am on the quest for a pair of nice pafs for my 335, but they need to have a four conducter lead, so I have to go for something else...unfortunately.

later, lu

6. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

In hollowbodies my fav is the classic 57. It's fatter, darker and more mid-heavy than most humbuckers: it nails that 60's jazz tone (burell, pass).

7. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

Wes may be rolled off his tone control a bit but I can't imagine he would do it all the way: that tone would be quite unusable and would lack a lot of expressive quality. Wes tone was very warm but nowhere as dark as Pat Martino or Jim Hall tone.

8. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

+1 on the '57 Classics. Avoid the '57 Classic PLUS though.

Another great Jazz pickup is the Lollar Imperial "Low Wind". Nice and clear!

9. slegros

slegros Member

In the same vein as the 57 classic you might also want to try the Duncan '59. Its a humbucker I really like.

10. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

To my ears: Gibson makes the best neck humbuckers. I like the 57 classics, but the 490R (comes stock in most production SG's & LP's) is amazing too.

I was one of those "stock pickups suck" guys (over 1000 posts on the Seymour Duncan forum). Tried everything. Ended up back with my stock neck 490R. Absolutely beautiful & underrated pickup. You can pick em up for close to nothing on eBay as SO many players pull out the stock Gibby pickups & slap Duncans or whatever in there (without even listening first many times).

In my experience, Gibson does the midrange right in regard to neck pickups. They use alnico ll magnets for the 490R & the 57 classic. That gives it a really sweet push in the mids. They are also powerful pickups without being "distortion" pickups. All the Duncans I had in my guitar sounded like single coils compared to the Gibsons.

That said, the Gibson bridge pickups are shrill & thin to my ears. After EXTENSIVE searching, soldering, hours spent at my bench and all that... the Rio Grande BBQ (bridge) matches up just PERFECTLY with both the 490R & 57 Classic necks. A match made in heaven. In my opinion, thats the way Gibsons should come stock. :D

11. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

The Duncan '59 is a totally different animal than the Gibson 57 classic.

The Duncan 59 uses an alnico V magnet which gives it less mids than the alnico ll in the Gibson 57 Classic. The Duncan 59 has a definite single coil quality to it - more tinkly, thinner. The Gibson 57 is FAR throatier, ballsier and louder sounding.

Not saying one is better than the other, but they are different beasts. :D

12. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Plain old Duncan Jazz model sounds great for jazz, and its pretty darn cheap too.

13. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

The Duncan Jazz is pretty much the Duncan 59 but not wound as hot. Also has an alnico V magnet. Very clean, trebly sounding pickup. Not very jazzy or warm though, despite the name.
    :rolleyes:

14. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

On rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz the duncan jazz is not considered a good jazz pu at all: I never saw someone advised it once on that forum

15. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

IMO a good jazz pickup is very clean. That way when you use your tone control to roll off the treble is doesn't get muddy. :cool:

16. Brien

Brien Member

I've read about Wes keeping his tone fairly bright because he was playing with his thumb. Anyway, I have a Duncan Jazz in my 175, and I've never thought of pulling it out for 20 years now.

17. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Things to consider 1) plywood top, 2) pick or thumb like Wes. 3) flatwounds like Wes or roundwounds. my vote is for a Seth Lover like an old PAF.

18. JJK

JJK Member

I went with the 57 Classic, just bought one on the bay. Thanks for the help guys!

19. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

Now throw some 18:1 Grover Tuners on there and you're set. My fave tuners ever, by far. Stock replacement on Gibson spaced instruments (screw holes line up). Should come stock from Gibson as well if you ask me. :D

Gold & Nickel:
    http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/Brand/Grover/Tuners/Grover_Full-size_Rotomatics.html

Chrome:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007ORM0K?smid=A102741HTMO4U3&tag=nextag-mi-20&linkCode=asn