• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Best JTM45 in a box? comparison with the real amp

sggibby

Hello, i wanted to know if anybody has compared side by side a real original JTM45 to one of those pedals emulating the JTM45?
Or do you know about a video I could watch?

Thanks

Black_Label

Yeah, I did a shoot out a couple of years ago with about 7 pedals vs my JTM45. The best of the bunch was the Zvex Distortron, which also happened to be the cheapest. The Box of Rock was also good, as was the CB Dirty Little Secret MKIII (though that one feels more like a JMP to me.)

sggibby

Thanks guys. I own a BOR but I somehow think the real JTM45 sound isn't quite there (played through a Marshall)
Any other pedals I could try?

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
I'm a big fan of the Distortron, but I would also look for a Menatone Workingman's Blue for JTM45 tones.

coltonius

Señor Member
The Lovepedal Hi Volt Ruby claims to do the JTM45, and it has a 3 band EQ.

The JHS Charlie Brown is a great overdrive that also claims JTM45 status. Not sure how it stacks up as a "Marshall in a box", but it certainly stands tall in its own rite.

1radicalron

The sound of electrical atoms smashing around inside some EL-34s, Big Iron Tranny's, and 4x12 Cabs = Can never be reproduced by any pedal, At least none I have heard anyways.

Last edited:
Carl Martin PlexiTone, the original 2 channel model on the crunch channel. It will make a believer of the guy above who said it can't be done.

TRJB

tashiattack

Agreed but some get closer than others.

Why else are we on this forum?
Exactly. I don't understand why people have to always post comments like that. We know a pedal will never sound 100% the same, but they certainly help those who can't afford several amps and who want to try a bunch of different flavours through a clean amp.

ejkennedy

This is still debated, but in my opinion, through various amps with different base tones and eqs the JHS is the best In this regard. With the plexitone being a close 2nd. But I still prefer other drives to either of those. And of course no pedal sounds as good and responds quite as well as that amp cranked up
EDIT: just an opinion.

DaveKS

This Smiletone pedal seems interesting, go to 7:30 where he stacks the Guv'nor side into the BluesBreaker side, especially at 8:00 when he's using a LP bridge pu. Wish somebody like Pete Thorn would get hold of it and give a real workout. But alas, this is only demo out so far.

Last edited:

outtahear

Silver Supporting Member
Most people thinking "JTM-45" tone are thinking KT-66(?).
Then there's which JTM-45?
Bass/Lead/P.A.?
Which OPT?
Gets complicated after that.

Rango

Silver Supporting Member
I've got DLS III and Plexi-drive Deluxe. I like them both! I set them up different so it's like I have TWO Plexi's to play. :D
They are also WAY easier to carry than a real Plexi and 4x12 cab... AND the club owner does freak out when I roll in with them. ;)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom